Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 26, 2011, 1:17 PM   #1

Default Upward Basketball (1st/2nd grade)

Here are some pictures I took the last two weekends. Last week (pic 1) were with kit 55-200. This week (pic 2-5) was with a rented 50mm 1.4. I had a hard time getting my focus point right. The auto focus didn't seem to react quick enough and my manual seemed a touch "off". Probably need my eyes checked. Anyway...

SamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2011, 9:03 PM   #2

Sam,

These are not bad. You've captured some nice action and you've gotten low for some good angles.

Have you applied any USM to get these a little sharper? IF not you should try that too?

I noticed in the EXIF for the first you had
1/250 and f/4.2 (not sure about the ISO)

then with the faster lens you used
1/800 and f/1.8 ISO 3200

I think with the 50mm you may be better off somewhere in between. I think 1/400 should be plenty fast enough for these little guys which will allow you to stop down to 2.8 or 3.0 and maybe even lower the ISO to 2500 (or try it still at 3200). This will get you a little more DOF and get more of you subject in focus and may help get more in focus shots.

I do shot f/1.8 sometimes but only because it is too dark not too. It looks like you may have a little more light here so could adjust somewhere in between.

Now I shoot with Canon but for me I have found I don't like using the 50mm much for basketball. I find I get better results with the 70-200 f/2.8, 85 f/1.8, and even like the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 better (because of more options with the zoom).

Keep shooting and experimenting.

Andy
griffina6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:52 AM   #3

Thanks Andy.

My post skills are VERY limited. I have PSE 7, and use that to rotate, crop, and clone (when needed). If you look at the bottom right of pic 5, you can see where I cloned out another player's foot. The other software I use is ACDSee(?)... again, an older version I snagged somewhere.

Pic #1 I modified the brightness in post because the original was dark. I wonder if that's why the ISO isn't available.

I was actually surprised the 50mm got me a little closer than really what I needed. I might need to look up the Tamron when next year comes along. For spring, my son is playing baseball and daughter is playing softball, so my kit 55-200 actually does pretty well.
SamG is offline   Reply With Quote