Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:44 PM   #1

Default Wrestling

I got to shoot some of the Arkansas state wrestling tournament. This was my first experience with wrestling. C & C appreciated.

aced19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:01 AM   #2

You've got some good action and nice and tightly framed and you were low. The biggest issues is the lighting setup you were using is creating very uneven lighting and inconsistent white balance. Were you using off-camera flash?

So, for a first time you did well. We just need to figure out the lighting / wb issues. The exif has been stripped. What setup (including lighting) were you using?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 5:29 PM   #3

I seem to always have problems with white balance.
Using D90
80-200mm
SB-600 Flash.
There was no way to bounce flash cause the ceilings was high except using a bounce card and I have no experience doing that. So they all had direct flash and set at -.7 on flash
Sorry for the exif gone. Here it is.
f/5.6
1/200
iso 640
135mm

f/5
1/200
iso 800
135mm

f/5
1/200
iso 800
120mm

f/5
1/200
iso 800
145mm

Also I understand the ambient light by letting the flash over power that, from your lesson on football. But when I dropped iso to 200-320 the pics didn't look right on the camera to me and I chickened out and raised the iso.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:52 AM   #4

First, I would suggest using a diffuser if you aren't already. That will help. For the WB, if you're on auto - it seems as if the camera doesn't do a good job of it, so I would suggest shooting RAW.

You can also do some PP to clean up uneven exposures - dodging part of the photo say.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 4:52 PM   #5

Look at pain on their faces, Face is very important part of sport pictures. At this perspective your shots are good.

I think the reason of pain in first picture is not the opponent, it can be flash you use

In my opinion expacially for indoor sport activities, flash is not a good option. High ISO with lower noise capability camera and a good lens with lower fstops can save you and you have more natural colors.

Please read John's sport photo related comments, even you can create a book with his posts. i am doing it recently.

Last edited by imut; Mar 2, 2011 at 4:54 PM.
imut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by imut View Post
In my opinion expacially for indoor sport activities, flash is not a good option. High ISO with lower noise capability camera and a good lens with lower fstops can save you and you have more natural colors.
I think every sport is different. For wrestling I disagree - I think flash/strobes are much more beneficial than available light. The reason is the mats are non-reflective so they eat up light. When faces are down by the mat or downward facing they tend to be in shadow. So that makes for bad light situations. With a D3s I've seen good available light photos. But for just about any other camera out there, flash or strobes does a better job. Plus the flash gives things more POP. But you have to get the light diffused so it spreads out and covers the whole body. Here's an example - it would be very difficult to get the face of the dominant wrestler exposed properly in this shot.

For other sports I don't (basketball) or can't (volleyball) use a flash but having shot wrestling both with and without flash I much prefer the flashed shots.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by imut View Post
Look at pain on their faces, Face is very important part of sport pictures. At this perspective your shots are good.

I think the reason of pain in first picture is not the opponent, it can be flash you use
I looked back at the other shots of that match. He always had his eyes closed

JohnG I wasn't using a diffuser. So I need to get one.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:34 AM   #8

What type of diffuser do you recommend? I have two soft box types from Sunpak (small and large) and while they seem to do a good job up close I do not think they would be the thing for this type of shooting.

Steve

Nice shots
Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2011, 9:36 AM   #9

Steve - I use a simple stofen omni-bounce. I also have my flash on a bracket so it's a bit higher up and I suspect that helps as well since I'm laying on the mat. I have to say I haven't ventured into remote flash / strobe setups since I just don't do enough sports work anymore for the $$$ investment to be worth it.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 10:45 AM   #10

John, i have yn 468, the head of the flash can be aranged for bounce and also it has a simple built in diffuser, should i get a new diffuser?

Quote:
I looked back at the other shots of that match. He always had his eyes closed
I don't blame you then
imut is offline   Reply With Quote