Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 12, 2011, 8:27 PM   #1

Default Baseball

Now that basketball is over, I find it really strange to be shooting outside with the sun out. Low ISO, fast shutter speeds, and a much slower game that will take a little to get use to again.

Slower in the sense that the action comes really quick between periods of...boredom.

So here are a few pics of todays game in sunny San Diego.

This one is with the Canon 100-400L on a 7D

This is Nates {my son} shot with a Canon 70-200 2.8 II on a 40D
Frank P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:03 PM   #2

Frank - great timing on that first shot. Here's some food for thought though - part of making a great sports shot is getting rid of distracting elements and having the action fill the frame. Sometimes the surrounding area adds context. But in this shot the umpire and the stands don't add a lot of useful context. Crop them out:
Attached Images

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:06 PM   #3

Same with second shot - it's a nice shot of your son, but the fence and trees don't really add anything to the image. Unfortunately, the down side of only having 200mm is when you crop that image you don't have as much detail as you'd like in the face/arm. But, it's a classic delivery shot and the exposure is nicely done. You just need a longer lens - or for the time being, crop and accept the loss of detail.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2011, 12:54 PM   #4

Hi John,

The second shot is not a shot of my son. My son is the photographer.

Your input is is much appreciated. We were finding it hard to shoot tighter and still be able to find the action in the viewfinder, even though we shoot with both eyes open.

Longer lense? 300 2.8? My 100-400 is ok, but its not as sharp as a big fast $$ prime. I will have to work on my cropping skills until I can shell out the $$. Im not at the point where this obsession has taken over my fishing obsession. LOL

Frank
Old Mar 14, 2011, 7:08 AM   #5

Frank

When using the 100-400 try and shoot between 150-350 I found using 400 made everything go ugly otherwise it was still an ok lens on a bright day. Sadly without using breathing techniques and body steady techniques it may never be as sharp as a 400 2.8 however never doubt yourself. Practice makes perfect.

Matt
Kronnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2011, 3:15 PM   #6

Thanks Matt. A few more sales and I'll have that big prime.