Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 19, 2011, 5:04 PM   #1

Default Rally Cars !!

Hope you like these ??
Maxsamsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2011, 7:40 PM   #2

I do like these, well done.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 3:45 AM   #3

Thanks boBB !!
Old Mar 23, 2011, 4:20 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Cool, some great action captured here. I think a little PP might help to make them pop more but that's about it.

How is the wrist doing?

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:01 AM   #5

Hi Mark, Dont suppose the wrist will ever be right, still having a lot of pain with it. Now they are saying i have a Heart problem, waiting on some tests to be done??? The Racing season starts this weekend and i cant wait!! hope the weather holds??
How are you doing?? Thanks for the comment always appreciate them.

Regards Tom
Old Mar 25, 2011, 3:20 PM   #6

Great shots, Maxsamsung! First of all let me say I hope that you get the health problems worked out. May I ask what equipment setting you used for the photos? I'm new to dlsr and photography and the forum. I was directed to this section after posting a question yesterday. I've been a race fan for years (F1, Indycar, American Lemans, Grand Am and Rallying), but until a few months ago used a Minolta Dimage Z2 for my race photos. I now own a D5000 with the kit lenses 18-55 and 55-200. I just ordered the 70-300vr today. I haven't had a chance to shoot anything more than basic stuff like my son, landscapes, cars going down the street, etc. Any tips you could provide on shooting auto racing would be greatly appreciated. I'm passionate about racing and have a feeling I'll be just as passionate about shooting the races with my new camera. Thanks.
umdaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2011, 3:45 AM   #7

Hi umdaman, Sorry for not getting back to you sooner !!! have had a pretty poor weekend. I use a Samsung GX10 and GX20 Bodies with a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 lens. Like you i love anything with an engine in it, until the bad health hit me 9 years ago i was deeply involved with Motorcycle Road Racing. I couldnt go to a race meeting to watch until i took up Photography, and now i enjoy (part of my life again) ??
Mark1616 is the man to give you a lot of tips on shooting Motorsport he has helped me a lot with my shooting. I try to use as slow a shutter speed as i can for panning something around 1-180th and try to keep your panning as smooth as possible even after you have fired your shot !!! With me i think its mainly luck getting a good shot !!
I hope you enjoy your new gear, and will look forward to seeing some of your shots in the future. I was at a race meeting on Saturday and dropped my 70-200 pretty badly damaged so i am sending it to Sigma today to see if it can be repaired ?? Good luck with the Camera. Regards Tom
Old Mar 28, 2011, 4:35 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Morning umdaman1, I heard my name mentioned so thought I should reply J

There are no set rules so will vary depending on the track, your location, distance from track, angle to the cars etc.

Pretty much for panning shots then the faster the car the higher the shutter speed you can get away with. If you are on a slow corner then you need the speeds lower. Even for fast action then I don’t usually go above 1/250s unless there is something screaming past and very close.

If you are shooting something coming head on then it is better to put the shutter speed up. 1/400 to 1/640 is my usual range, this means you still have some movement in the wheels while ensuring there is no blur anywhere else.

When panning just play around, get the shutter down to 1/40s for some crazy blur, you will need to pan really well but when it works it is great.

The best way forward is to get out and play with loads of different settings to see what works well. I would suggest framing pretty tight so the car fills at least 2/3 of the frame.

Another point to be aware of is not to zoom when doing panning shots, set the length of the lens for what you want to be the desired length at the peak point of the action and just concentrate on panning well.

A point about panning; to be successful, keep your eye fixed on one part of the car. As you usually want the vehicle to be slightly back in the frame to give space for it to move into in the final shot, pick something that is just ahead of the centre of the vehicle and then keep that on the centre focus point. A mirror on a normal car is pretty good, also the number can work, it just depends.

Use AF Continuous and either centre focus point or all points (I still can’t decide which of the latter gives me the best results.

For exposure I like manual otherwise you get different exposures depending on the colour of the car. White cars will under expose and dark cars will over. If you are not confident with manual at first then just shooting in shutter priority and set the desired speed allowing the aperture to control the exposure. Make sure your ISO is at a setting so your aperture is at a good level, so for example you want it to average about f8 to start with.

Any more questions just let me know.

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 4:18 PM   #9

Thanks Mark1616, Your better at the tech talk than i am !!!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 4:33 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxsamsung View Post
Thanks Mark1616, Your better at the tech talk than i am !!!
No worries, that's what I'm here for

You're only job is to keep taking great photos and having fun!

Have fun everyone!

site or go to my blog.