Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:45 PM   #1

Default Beach Volleyball - first attempts

There are a lot of photos... This was in Key West, my cousin (in the blue shirt) and his wife were playing. I love volleyball, as I play 6 times a week, but I have difficulty photographing it for some reason. I know exactly where everyone will be and how they are going to hit and stuff, but I can't seem to get myself in the right position to capture it. I used my 70-200 2.8. I also have the Pentax K-r, with serious FF issues. I will hopefully be sending it back for a fix or replacement soon because it's really difficult to remember to try and focus just a bit behind the subject I'm trying to capture. And with these vball shots, most of them were pre-focused onto the net or something like that.

Any critiques are welcome. This is one of my first attempts at any sport photography. I would love to try some indoor vball, in a gym where i could be up a bit higher so the faces aren't blocked as much.

(they were all sharper before I uploaded them to this forum. They can be seen in their sharper form on my flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ewheele...7626249428139/

Last edited by ewheeler20; Mar 28, 2011 at 11:50 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:47 PM   #2

Old Mar 29, 2011, 7:34 AM   #3

Greetings again Eric. I hope you had fun!
shot1 : decent action, but no face. That's a tough thing about volleyball - you want to capture both. That means occasionally the arm is just in a bad position given your angle.

shot 2: same as in critique section - while the player must crouch, he has his head down and hands on knees - looks winded, so not flattering.

shot 3: doesn't work for me - framing of the net just isn't compelling enough here to be the main subject.

shot 4: Timing and background - The biggest issue here is the background is a major distraction to the image. A large part of sports shooting is selecting angles & shots that minimize distracting background elements. Sometimes the background can add interest but not in this type of shot. That's also where the timing comes in - catching the ball at the apex like that forces wider framing which increases DOF and also increases framing. If you want to capture the serve, try to choose a better angle. In general though, serves in volleyball are like free throws in basketball - try to avoid them for the most part.

shot 6: nice tight framing, but you need the ball in the frame.

shot 7: better - tight and part of the ball. But, the ball is cut off and so are his hands. Try to get his hands in the frame at a minimum and a bit more of the ball. This is where framing is important - which is more important to the image, his thighs or his hands? If you're using center focus point, focus on the face that will give you room at the top of the frame to get hands & ball in.

shot 8: nice idea, but frame the shot tighter on the signals and more from your right so it isn't such a harsh angle. really fill a larger portion of the frame with the signal

shot 9: timing and background again. Because you don't have much facial expression here, the story has to be the block - so it needs to be tighter and the ball closer to impact. This shot is a bit too late and the ball is too far away. But, blocks are tough to get good shots of - when I shoot indoor they're probably my most thrown away shot attempt

shot 11: great action here - best of the lot. Shot is a bit underexposed though and the front-focus is really evident - the ball is sharper than the player and you want it the other way around.

For a first time, you did OK. Get your camera/lens looked at as you suggested. But, some things to consider for next time:
Faces, clean backgrounds and forget the serves.

If you can, try to capture some digs - in sand volleyball those make some great shots. Tough to get, but well worth it. For net play try for a bigger angle so you get more of the face and less profile.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:27 PM   #4

Thanks a lot John for taking the time to look at these. That is exactly the feedback I need. (asking family for critique doesn't seem to work, lol.) I found that i tended to crop to tightly while taking the photo which seemed to limit me in editing. I need to remember to capture more in the moment, and then crop later on. I hear what you mean about the backgrounds, there was a lot of stuff going on all around the court, and I should have chosen better angles taking that into account.

I think I'll certainly focus on the digs more and capturing faces. Thanks for all the tips!
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:36 PM   #5

I did do another shoot and attempted at a a few more digs and diving, but they came out really bad because I couldn't seem to focus on them properly.. so then I stupidly changed my f-stop to something like 8, which caused my shutter to drop too low... but i didn't notice until I uploaded them on my computer, so everything was blurry, and the DOF was too big, so the background was a bit distracting. Noobie mistake I guess.

Here are some of them:

The first too were taken too close up, so either the ball, or his appendages were cut off.

My shutter speed was clearly too slow in these (about 1/320s to 1/400s) f 7.1

Last edited by ewheeler20; Mar 29, 2011 at 12:39 PM.
ewheeler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:52 PM   #6

Yep, those are the types of shots that make sand volleyball appealing. Now it's just practice so you can shoot at f2.8 and get the focus point on the face so it is in focus but the rest isn't. As to framing too tightly, please, please don't go the other way. Framing tightly is the way to get quality shots. So, you just need to loosen up a tiny bit. If you go too far the other way and frame with your subject filling 1/2 the frame or less you'll really lose quality (focus will suffer and your depth of field will increase). So, you've got the right idea, you just need to adjust a little bit for the extension that occurs in this particular sport.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote