Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jun 1, 2011, 4:52 PM   #1

Default Indoor VB with Sony A580

Hello,
Finally got some fairly decent shots with my new Sony A580 and the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 and also the Zeiss 85mm f/1.4

Still have a lot to learn regarding timing, aiming, and positions to shoot from but overall a big improvement from the past efforts.

Comments/Critiques welcome

Jim B
Attached Images

Old Jun 2, 2011, 7:03 AM   #2

Hi Jim. No doubt - volleyball is a tough sport to shoot. In general, I'm not a huge fan of thru-the-net shots - the net obscures a lot and makes focusing difficult. With that in mind, here is some feedback:
Exposures are a bit off here - a lot of underexposed shots. You'll get that when you let the camera control the metering. switch to using a manual exposure for your next game and you'll be better off.

shot 1: framing is too wide, IMO - attacker and defenders are too far apart. Additionally, she's too far back from the net - I'm not entirely sure where your focus was on this shot - maybe the net. but nothing is in sharp focus here.

shot 2: better focus. Again though - too much empty space - you have to get comfortable framing tighter (or you need a longer lens from where you're shooting) - the story here is the attacker and two defenders - the other player in white isn't involved but half the frame is wasted by trying to include her.

shot 3: this is the most under-exposed of the series - by quite a bit. Great expression on the one defender. But again, framing is loose - the defender/ball is the story but again there's half an empty frame to the left. If you haven't cropped yet then definitely crop this one down and get rid of the dead space.

I think you're definitely moving along. Switching to manual exposure will fix your inconsistent exposures - that's easy. Framing is a tougher part - if these shots are uncropped then you've got some leeway to crop them. If you've already cropped them then I think 85mm is too short a lens for where you're shooting from. You either need to move closer (I tended to shoot from right behind the net judge when I used an 85mm) or get a longer lens. Keep at it! You'll keep getting better.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2011, 7:51 PM   #3

if your not a fan of through-the-net shots, where would you recommend shooting from? I too have been having difficulties finding good places to be.
Old Jun 6, 2011, 9:57 PM   #4

Jim, your best bet is to go down to the beach, which is very near your location (I'm close by in Huntington Beach). There you will have endless opportunities to shoot volleyball action...such as
Attached Images

Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2011, 7:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewheeler20 View Post
if your not a fan of through-the-net shots, where would you recommend shooting from? I too have been having difficulties finding good places to be.
I will shoot from behind the net judge quite a bit - sliding up and down the line depending on the player(s) I want to shoot. That's a big part of it - you need to approach it like a photographer, not a fan. Concentrate on shooting specific players and not trying to capture all the action.

With a longer lens you can shoot from above (taken with 70-200 2.8):

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:10 AM   #6

That spot by the line judge is nice but have only been to a couple of tournies that they would allow it. The high school and club events that I have attended have no facility for getting above the action. That would be super.

Now the season is over except for the 14 year old has an event in Atlanta for a jr. olympic event. A bit of a drive from So. Calif.

So I save these notes until the new season and hope to progress from there.