Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Aug 29, 2011, 8:20 AM   #1
spy

Default Drag Racing

Last Friday night I was asked to come shoot a night of 1/4 mile drag racing for a couple of brothers that go up against each other. Both driving Chevy trucks, one running nitrous. This is my first time photographing this sport I only had 3 races to get most angles in. In the 1/4 mile, both trucks are doing 130 mph, between high 11's and low 13 seconds.

This race was open to the public with all types of vehicles from smart cars to mercedes and everything in-between. I hope to go again next Friday for another night of it!

Kevin
www.poetryofmotion.com
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2011, 4:02 PM   #2

G'day Kevin

"cor blimey mate" - what great images of the smoke & power ... I can hear the noise too!
and these are well loved [and polished] vehicles as well - not some knock-around old bombs

Well done
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 6:01 PM   #3
spy

Cheers Phil and thanks for commenting. That guy standing in the tire burnout smoke worked that position all night from 7pm - 11pm with no ear muffs or mask! The smoke was choking if you were in it....dont know how well he manages?? The brother in the 3rd photo has owned that truck for over 30 years! The motor alone in that one ...$12,000! This night was the first time running nitrous in it which gave him an extra instant 100 horsepower.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 6:14 PM   #4

Great pix...the first Chevy is a an older SS 454...the 454 refers to the original engine in the SS 454....454 cubic inches of displacement...or 7.4 liters for those familiar with the metric system.

A big V8 engine...no matter how it is measured...also known to the drag racing fraternity as the ' Rat' motor.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 8:50 PM   #5
spy

Nice piece of knowledge there lesmore49, thanks for that! There was one truck running mid 10 seconds....(the red one in the second photo), the fastest truck in Calgary. When that thing launches, the front end lifts off the ground. No car could beat it that night!

Ok, I can admit to being a little amazed from time to time, but I've never seen diesel trucks doing 13 second 1/4 mile @ 130 mph! I used to own a dodge 3/4 diesel and it would take a good half minute to do the same distance.

Here's a few more just to give the feeling of the night.

Thanks all for coming around to look!

Kevin
Attached Images

Last edited by spy; Aug 29, 2011 at 8:53 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:23 PM   #6

Great pix....I used to live in Alberta....lot's of very good vehicles there....your pix give the feeling of being at the drags.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 2:51 AM   #7

nice set of pictures. never seen a diesel drag racer but here in europe I think that diesels are more advanced and produce tremendous touque resulting in lots of power, they have raced at le mans and Sebring
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
nice set of pictures. never seen a diesel drag racer but here in europe I think that diesels are more advanced and produce tremendous touque resulting in lots of power, they have raced at le mans and Sebring
You might be surprised with the hp and torque standard American pickups with diesel engines churn out...most of them are around 350 to 400 hp and around 800 ft. lbs. of torque...stock...off the showroom floor.

They are usually 6.6 or 6.7 liter diesel engines.

Souped up for different drag racing classes these diesels put out way more hp and torque.

Running a heavy 4 WD pickup that weighs in the almost 3 ton range...in 1/4 mile times in the 12's and 13 second range....takes a tremendous amount of power.

Le Mans racing cars with diesels...for example Peugeot are very impressive, but so are the diesel pickups that you find on the streets and drag strips of North America.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:41 AM   #9

Never been to a Drag meeting, they dont have any in N.Ireland??? must get a trip to Santa Pod in England looks good. Great shots !!!!
Maxsamsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2011, 7:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxsamsung View Post
Never been to a Drag meeting, they dont have any in N.Ireland??? must get a trip to Santa Pod in England looks good. Great shots !!!!
Tom,

I think you would enjoy drag racing. If you have an opportunity, take a DSLR camera, preferably with a telephoto prime or telephoto zoom (my favourite a 55-300mm) to take pix from the stands.

On a side note....there was a motorcycle racer by the name of the E.J. Potter...AKA the Michigan Madman who ran his own home built motorcycle, at American drag strips back in the 1960's.

He did some exhibition runs at Santa Pod in England, back then and by all accounts wowed the crowd.

His motorcycle was a frame (from a Harley I think) with a 327 cubic inch Chevy V8 mounted transversely. It was chain drive from the Chevy V8 and the rear wheel had a single drag slick mounted.

He could smoke the rear wheel the length of the 1/4 mile track.

You can find some videos of his remarkable runs on the internet. Well worth a look.

Les