Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Aug 29, 2011, 2:56 PM   #1

Default Lens choice for youth soccer

Hello, I have been lurking here and learning, but I need your advice. I currently own a Canon 50D and 28-135 lens and have trying to take pictures of my son (8yrs old) playing soccer, the issue is I can't get close enough. A buddy has a couple of lens that he would lend me for the weekend, but not sure which to try. The two are a Sigma 100-300 F4 and a Canon 70-300 F4-5.6L. Now I know the F4 is more desirable for fast shutter speeds, but I also read great things about the Canon L lens. Anyone have an opinion of which one to use this weekend? Richard
richard7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2011, 3:28 PM   #2

Well, you need to clarify with your friend - there are 2 versions of the 70-300. One is an "L" and the other is not. Make sure it's the "L". I've read great reports from the field on the quality of the new "L" version. Great IQ and very fast focus performance. The sigma 100-300 f4 was one of sigma's best lenses from all reports. If your friend's lens is NOT the "L" version then go with the 100-300. If it's the "L" version then I would say it depends on the weather. A nice day with plenty of sun, try the "L". But if it's overcast or in the evening, you'll want the f4.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 3:41 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Will double check with him on the Canon lens, he had said it was an L, but I will check. The forecast is cloudy, so we will see, I will pick up the lens on Friday.
richard7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 4:29 PM   #4

Just saw this and it is probably way too late, but thought I would put my two cents in. I own copies of both lens and the L is not my choice for sports at least not on my 7D. I have found for the 7D that you should really get your Shutter Speed up in the 1/1500 and above range (I really like above 1/2000) to get the best quality on moving subjects and with the 70-300 L that involves moving the ISO way up if the light is not full bright sun. Others may have different experience than I. The Sigma is not quite as sharp, but really close and it is easier to get the Shutter up where I want it. I do love the Canon L for vacation work or family outings, the results are some of my best shots. Steven
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote