Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 9, 2011, 8:44 AM   #1

Default More MS Basketball: UPDATED w/info. Help please

OK, I ended renting a 70-200 2.8 for last night. I still ended up cranking up the ISO and haven't figured out the best way to get rid of the noise. Also seemed to have problems with the focus (as normal for me). The pictures just don't "pop" to me. Here are some shots...

I did some cropping, some straightening, worked the levels, and tried to 'denoise', and while these (sort of) work for what I need, I'm not totally happy.

Last edited by SamG; Sep 13, 2011 at 8:29 AM.
SamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2011, 2:24 PM   #2

SamG,
I'm no expert but from what I can tell is your shutter speed at 1/400 was to low. You need at least the min of 1/500. When I shoot bball I try to get 1/640 or faster. That might help you on the focus part.
But I don't know the specs on a D5000 and the AF on that camera may not be fast enough. But I would think you should get better quality than whats posted.
Also you might want to get a 85mm 1.8 lens. Seems to work great for bball.

When it comes to noise I use Neat Image. I like it the best.

Also I don't own a VR lens. But I have always been told to turn off VR for sports. The lens you rented, did it have VR on it and maybe turned on?
aced19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2011, 10:46 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamG View Post
OK, I ended renting a 70-200 2.8 for last night. I still ended up cranking up the ISO and haven't figured out the best way to get rid of the noise.
I did some cropping, some straightening, worked the levels, and tried to 'denoise', and while these (sort of) work for what I need, I'm not totally happy.
How was the exposure to begin with? I'm wondering if your Post Processing may be part of the issue, as I'd expect a bit lower noise at those viewing sizes from that sensor at ISO 3200 if they were properly exposed and you are not cropping a lot, provided Noise Reduction was enabled in the camera and/or you're using good Noise Reduction software in post.

Was a custom White Balance being used? If not, then that may be part of the problem (correcting it later can create problems like more noise).
Basically, if White Balance wasn't right to begin with, then you may end up pushing some channels over others (increasing noise) trying to correct color in post. I'd set a custom white balance using a white or gray card under the floor lights before the games start.

How about Active D-Lighting? I can't tell if it was on or not, because your Editor (Photoshop from the looks of it), stripped out the Maker Notes (it left the basic EXIF info, but there are no Proprietary Nikon Maker Notes left in the Metadata). If you were using Active D-Lighting, it will tend to create issues at higher ISO speeds. So, I'd leave it turned off. Basically, it's going to try and push some areas, increasing noise.

How about your exposure? If exposure wasn't correct, same thing (when you push an underexposed image to brighten it, you're going to increase noise levels, just as if you used an even higher ISO speed to begin with.

Were they heavily cropped? Noise is usually not as noticeable at smaller viewing sizes if you're downsizing a full size image. But, if you're cropping a lot, then you're going to see more noise and less detail in your images.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:12 AM   #4

The exif is showing 70mm for these shots. They're over-cropped. That's a big part of the issue. You need to fill the frame IN CAMERA, not shoot loosely framed and then crop down later.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2011, 11:17 AM   #5

Thanks for the tips guys. To answer some questions...

The exposure looked dark to me in the camera when I was running ISO3200 (even with the f2.8) so I cranked that up. I was trying to get a shutter of ~400-500.

I'll have to check the Active D-Lighting setting (I usually don't even look at that).

I was on Auto White Balance, but didn't (intentionally) change the color in post, just tried to boost the chroma some.

I don't remember doing a lot of cropping, I'll have to go back to the original pics tonight to look at them.

I have another game with this lens tomorrow (Tuesday) night.

Thanks for the tips.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:01 AM   #6

Regarding cropping... I did not crop these very much. Here is #1 & #3 with no editing at all...
#1 original:

#3 original:

A friend has Topaz DeNoise and I asked him to run these through that. Here's what we came up with (I might have to get a copy of this)

#1 after Topaz:

#3 after Topaz:

Active D-Lighting was set to 'Auto'. I'll try to turn it off for tonight's game. Any other tips?