Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 20, 2004, 8:30 AM   #11

Default wvyankeegurl

your shots were beautiful! yes, the lighting plays a big part. when we played at a big complex i got SOME decent photos. i did read about the white balance and how to custom set it using a piece of white paper. i think (and i really know VERY LITTLE) that would make a difference as far as the yellow-orange cast i get in gyms. i'm thinking my prob is a focus problem maybe related to the lighting or maybe me. your pics were very sharp to me and the lighting was great! i would be thrilled to have mine come out like that. i possibly should've invested a little more $$ in a better camera. gotta figure out the manual focus and possibly buy an external flash. (sigh). Problem is she is a senior and we have two regular games, 4 district games, then playoffs, .....................................then......... ...................hopefully........STATE!! gotta get a handle on this soon!!
Darlene
PS. did you try any fast-action shots and how did they come out?
darlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 7:00 PM   #12

Darlene, and wvyankeegurl, After some research here is what I think, WB Should allways be Pre-set At the place you will be shooting Since all lighting has a different " K" value this will help with the yellowish tinge you are getting. check your manuals on the how too's on this. Darlene, I am almost positive you will have no luck with manual focus, The action is just to fast, Minolta claims a fast Auto focus But it may not be enough in dim lights, My Nikon lenses the 24-85 3.5f-4.5f is not near as fast auto focusing as my 80-200 2.8f this is due I belive to the apature. Now the minolta says it is 2.8F-3.5F and bult in zoom, and Auto Focus, ok that is a lot for a lens to do the my Nikons only Auto Focus, NOT ZOOM!! that is done manually. Not as much for the lens to do automaticley, Now I know I am not comparing apples to apples, but that is the best way to explain it ( I think) I would try Appature priority 2.8 if you can( this is the biggest Appature oppening) And FLASH ,Not on board . Add on. and don't expect miricles out of the flash. Full power , wide open will eat batteries and refresh time will be limited and lessoned as the batteries get weaker. For an example I have posted a picture I Did at a cutting With Good lighting, Nikon D-100, 80-200 2.8f 1/160 s ISO 800 SB-80 full manual flash , Two Dyna-lite 400 strobes at 1/4 power tripped by two Pocket wizzards. And to me it is still a so so pic . Now that is a lot of light out there and Noise is still prevelant and a little fuzzy. Play with your settings alot till you get it Dialed in and keep trying, Thats the nice thing about Digetal. You can follow my link in my signature and see what outdoor cutting pics are like and you will see a big differnce. Good Luck.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2004, 8:58 PM   #13

Default cowboy43

thank you. i know you put some time into researching this for us. i will custom set my white balance next time. i do see the difference even in your indoor and outdoor shots and you are a pro. i will try the apperture priority setting (I think i have tried that tho). i think on this last game i went into overkill on the shutter priority setting. i set it too high and it didn't allow enough light in so my autofocus had no chance. not that it works well anyway inside. someone suggested that i try manually focusing on a particular spot such as under the goal and waiting for the action to come to me.
wvyankeegurl - i would love to see some of your fast action shots as i am very impressed with the free throw shots.
cowboy43 is there a camera that you know of that would take good indoor gym shots? it won't be in time for my 12th grader but i do have a 7th grader that plays. or is that really something that just the pros with the thousands of dollars of equipment can do.
thanks again!
Old Jan 21, 2004, 12:03 AM   #14

Thanks for all your help , I think everyone that shoots sports indoors seems to have alot of the same problems.
Ive been taken them for 4 years now , this is my second camera.
Getting the Rebel here soon.
Ive never liked taken indoor gyms shots. They just dont look that great for me yet, im picky,lol. but who isnt lol.
Here is a link to one of my 8 sites for sports which the pics are ok for this but not for big printing.

http://www.eteamz.com/Poca_GirlsBBall/

*****Now look at these which are outside shots on these sites

http://www.eteamz.com/phS_softball/

http://www.eteamz.com/cvmfl/index.cf...subsite=191002

I take alot of different sports for our little town sports sites,
basketball,softball,volleyball,football,baseball , i love it!
I sale the pics too.
wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 9:16 AM   #15

Default wvyankeegurl

very nice. i bet you enjoy that job. i do see the difference in your indoor and outdoor shots. well i will keep trying on the basketball pics to get the best i can. your camera did do a better job on those first ones i looked at -vs- the ones on the website. different camera?
thanks,
darlene
Old Jan 21, 2004, 5:35 PM   #16

If you have a external Flash, A cheap item ($40) is called a Better Beemer http://www.naturescapes.net/retail/visualechoes.htm It works well to extend your Flash. Check it out.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2004, 11:41 PM   #17

Same camera , different gyms.
The best ones were at the Civic Center a very big well lite place.
I dont get very good pics in high school gyms, ours is lite with yellowish light and a bunch are out. So pics our terrible in there.
which are alot of them on that site. except for a few.
I played with a digital rebel today at best buy , i cant wait to get one! One thing i will miss with the E100rs is the 15fps.
That was a great feature for outside softball and football shots.
I really like getting step for step of the action in a row from bat swings to pitching to sliding and tackling. I tried the burst mode on the cannon , i could work with it , lol, will see!
Thanks for the comments on the flash.
I prob. wont buy one for the E100 since im getting the rebel.
wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote