Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 17, 2011, 4:17 AM   #1

Default Nikon 70-200mm f2.8

I picked up the Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR yesterday and decided to hit the nite game to give it a quick try. Shooting was from the bleachers about 25-30 yds from the action. Camera body is the D-700 shooting shutter priority and iso to auto. Both pics are shot at f-2.8 with a shutter speed of 1/500. Although the sun had set and the lights were on, it was not totally dark at this point to put it to the acid test. Thus far, it is much better then I would of suspected from my previous setup. The lens was extrememly quick to focus compared to the Tameron I had used the previous year. A little bit of tinkering and repostioning and I think this combo will do okay.
Attached Images

emptyquiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 17, 2011, 4:50 AM   #2

Congrats to you on getting a very fine lens. I'm not a sport shooter so wont critique your images, other than to say they look really sharp to me as well as you caught two great moments.

I've had the 70-200mm f2.8 VR lens for a couple of months now and continue to marvel at it's focus speed and resolution.

Enjoy

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2011, 5:51 AM   #3

Actually it was not till after I read your post zig, that it got me thinking about this lens again. LOL, so I figured I better give it a go. Oh theres alot of room for improvment Iam sure. Shooting in shutter priority of 1/500 sec, which I thought would be quick enough, but wasnt, opened my apeture to 2.8 with the iso set to a max of 1600 in auto at 200mm. Id like to try this again shooting at half the distance to see what the results would be.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 8:01 AM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

It is a gem of a lens and looks like you are taking full advantage of its capabilities! I use mine for aviation photography (on a D300s + a 1.7 TC) and am very pleased. I like the facial exprepessions that you have captured in both of the above.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptyquiver View Post
Actually it was not till after I read your post zig, that it got me thinking about this lens again. LOL, so I figured I better give it a go. Oh theres alot of room for improvment Iam sure. Shooting in shutter priority of 1/500 sec, which I thought would be quick enough, but wasnt, opened my apeture to 2.8 with the iso set to a max of 1600 in auto at 200mm. Id like to try this again shooting at half the distance to see what the results would be.
Hi,

I didn't think my enthusiasm was contagious.

As for getting closer to the action, I believe that getting as close as you can to whatever the subject you're trying to capture is critical. It certainly gives you more options. Capturing the faces of the athletes also is quite a bit easier to accomplish.

Looking forward to more of your posts.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2011, 6:59 PM   #6

I had been considering the lens for a while now zig, being somewhat disenchanted with the Tameron 2.8 in this venue,had been working on me since last year. The Tammy can be troublesome to focus in low light when trying to pickup and follow a subject. Iam generally on the field when shooting the soccer games but in this case I didnt have the clearance on such short notice to stand on the sidelines. Besides there was already a person up there shooting, so I took advantage of what I had and snapped off a few. It was somewhat surprising to notice how quick the lens locks on focus each time. Sorry for not having any of the classic action shots....but it is what it is.
Attached Images

Old Mar 19, 2012, 3:13 PM   #7

MY workhorse lens. I use it for everything, even models! Nice shots.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote