Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:16 PM   #1

Default Shrine Bowl 2011 - NC vs SC

OK guys, haven't been here in a few months. Got a new Canon L 70-200 and wanted to see what I could do with it. Check them out and let me have it.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

See the rest of the pics here. http://kedwardssportsphotoz.smugmug....0643444_qWTKgn
edwardskev is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 19, 2011, 8:49 PM   #2

I knew you put the water mark on them so no one would steel the images buts its distracting very distorting to me. After looking past that I like them all except #4 as the photographers in the background through my eye away from the punter. I think you did a pretty good job but I am not a really great sports photographer although I do take images for a small local paper of various sporting events.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:15 AM   #3

Nice shots edwardskev...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:00 PM   #4

OK, here goes:
photo 1: crooked - sometimes crooked works but this just looks crooked. Also too tight - cut off the rock and his left hand.
Photo 2: nice action but too far away - shot is overcropped and you don't have the detail to support the crop.
Photo 3: nice action but you cut off his foot and the head of the runner is blurry. EXIF says shutter speed was 1/8000. Best guess is that the shot is back-focused his trailing leg is sharper and so is the defender in the right portion of the frame.
Photo 4: background is very distracting - guessing the shot was framed much looser and cropped as 150mm wouldn't give you that tight of framing. It's also in an awkward part of the kick - if the photo is just the kicker you want it closer to actual impact on the ball.
photo 5: great action - but too far away for your lens. action fills up way too little of the frame and there's no detail. not your fault just can't shoot action that far away with 200mm.
photo 6: better detail as the subjects were closer. The challenge here is with the framing - this long after the hand-of the QB really isn't part of the story - you want to be tight on the running back because the story here is the ball is loose.

photo 7: good action. Problem again is framing - too much dead space on top and you cut off the feet. This is why I suggest shooting portrait orientation - very often there are just more vertical components to the image than horizontal.

out of time. You get the idea. You've got a fine lens - with more practice you'll be making great images in no time.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:13 AM   #5

Watermarks extremely distracting to the point that I can't really concentrate on the photos. At least put them in the bottom corner somewhere. Also, with so many posted its too much trouble to go back and count which photo I'm trying to evaluate. Next time, number them.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
Watermarks extremely distracting to the point that I can't really concentrate on the photos. At least put them in the bottom corner somewhere. Also, with so many posted its too much trouble to go back and count which photo I'm trying to evaluate. Next time, number them.
Agree with Walter. Looks like you're on the right track, though. One thing I think you'll notice is that the 70-200mm just doesn't have enough reach to shoot action across the field.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:26 AM   #7

All pics are clear like a crystal and giving awesome results.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 8:17 PM   #8

Wow, been awhile since I have been in here. Thanks for the advice guys. Football season is around the corner so hopefully I can get some decent shots this year.
edwardskev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2012, 3:25 PM   #9

Good Luck our first high school game is tonight I'm exciting except for the 40 to 50% of thunderstorms, although its bright and sunny right now.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote