Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:08 AM   #1

Default Junior Rugby

Here are a few shots from my sons Junior Rugby team. The first few were taken with my old camera (Fujifilm S1500) but Father Christmas was kind to me this year and brought me a Fujifilm HS20 EXR (see pictures #3,4 & 5)

ALL HONEST C&C very welcome.

Nearly there by Shieldz77, on Flickr

Try Time by Shieldz77, on Flickr

What do you mean, No Try?? by Shieldz77, on Flickr

And he scores by Shieldz77, on Flickr

Scrum Down by Shieldz77, on Flickr

my facebook
shieldz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:05 AM   #2

OMG, I've only just noticed the difference in picture quality between my old and new camera

my facebook
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:28 AM   #3

OK, here goes:
Shot 1: way too loosely framed with way too many distracting elements. Also, you're shooting down on your subject - you really want to kneel or sit so you're shooting UP at them.

Shot 2: Not really anything going on here - no action or emotion. Additionally the photo is not very sharp - either cropped too much or misfocus or camera just isn't sharp zoomed out so much.

Shot 3: Nice expression and good color - probably the best shot, technically speaking. But, I would argue the boy looking down really doesn't add anything - I think the shot would be much better framed tightly on the boy on the ground - his expression is the shot and right now that expression fills up too small an area of the frame.

shot 4: too much dead space - you still want the marker at the bottom of the frame but that's it - otherwise you want the two players filling up much more of the frame. Shot is also a bit crooked - that's easily fixed when you crop though. And, as with the first shot - you don't want to be shooting down on your subjects - kneel or sit so you're shooting up at them.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 1:30 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice John. I really appreciate it. TBH, I hardly ever crop in post production. Also, I don't really get chance to frame the shot properly before pressing the button. I suppose that will come with experience.

I'll try cropping the photos as suggested and post results on here.

If any one else has anything to add, please feel free. I'm a big boy, I can take it...

my facebook
Old Jan 31, 2012, 3:00 PM   #5
Super Moderator

John has covered the key elements and he is the most knowledgeable sports shooter on here. Try to avoid cropping in post production so get used to framing tightly in the camera, that is harder when not using a dSLR but well worth practising.

I wrote this post a long time ago which might help too New to sports shooting and wonder if you can improve?!?!

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 3:37 PM   #6

Hi Phil, I have tried to download & crop your images but it looks like they have either already been cropped(you say not) or the image quality from the camera won't stand further P&P?(16MGP I don't think so) OR this could be due to the Flikr link so try linking direct from a photo site. You will have to crop the originals yourself!. Kind regards Graham.
bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 4:08 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Oops, I forgot about Graham when bigging up John. Graham is a successful pro sports shooter who covers a lot of Rugby so also knows a thing or two

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 5:08 PM   #8

Thanks for the advice guys.

I had to re-size the photos via flickr to get them on here. Plenty of things for me to be practicing.

Hopefully, you'll see a marked improvement soon.

my facebook