Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 15, 2012, 4:49 PM   #1

Default high school basketball mismatch

My son's school played Grace Prep last Friday. Grace Prep is notorious for providing "inducements" to get these budding superstar basketball players to come to their school. They play in a private school division where the average enrollment is under 400, so they don't even have competition in their district play, and often not even in the playoffs. The 2nd two pics didn't capture the shooters face, but they did capture the total look of dismay on the defender as he was being posterized by a 2 handed slam. The player in the first 4 pics is 7'1" Isaiah Austin, the #1 high school center in the nation and committed to Baylor in the fall.

5 (missed dunk)

6 non-contact sport
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:40 AM   #2

Where does it say in the Scriptures that Faith will overcome Grace? :-) Wow. Tough night for your guys.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 12:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
Where does it say in the Scriptures that Faith will overcome Grace? :-) Wow. Tough night for your guys.
LOL, now that's funny!
Old Feb 25, 2012, 1:43 PM   #4

G'day all

1- nice set of action images mate
2- to me, it typifies much of what it wrong with world sport [life in general??] these days ... "winning is more important than playing the game"

I well realise that in any sporting match / horse race, one competitor/team has to come first, but to do so via 'inducements' or out-and-out cheating is, to me totally unacceptable

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 7:55 AM   #5

yes, I agree, Phil. I probably should have just stuck to photography on the posting & not given as much background, but it is a explanation as to the obvious physical difference in the pictures. Truly men against boys. The 7 footer would be a force anywhere he plays at the high school level, it's just at this level most of the kids on that team have zero competition.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 2:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day all

1- nice set of action images mate
2- to me, it typifies much of what it wrong with world sport [life in general??] these days ... "winning is more important than playing the game"

I well realise that in any sporting match / horse race, one competitor/team has to come first, but to do so via 'inducements' or out-and-out cheating is, to me totally unacceptable

Regards, Phil

"you play the game to win"-Herm Edwards
especially at the high school level. youre preparing these kids for college athletics and possibly, beyond.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 3:18 PM   #7

Thankyou DRGS

I have no knowledge of whomever Herm Edwards is - nor being outside the usa do I wish to know - but if he is a sporting guru then it simply shows how narrow his life focus actually is

Thankfully the rest of the world does not share this extremely poor vision of what life's all about

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
Thankyou DRGS

I have no knowledge of whomever Herm Edwards is - nor being outside the usa do I wish to know - but if he is a sporting guru then it simply shows how narrow his life focus actually is

Thankfully the rest of the world does not share this extremely poor vision of what life's all about

Regards, Phil
So you limit your experiences to those only obtained from your country? Seems narrow minded, no? We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. A world without competition...Dont want any part of it, personally. I want to see people strive to achieve to be the best. I want my teams making moves to win championships. i want my kids giving their all to get that job over someone else.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:43 AM   #9

I get both sides here. But, the important thing here is: sports is like life. Things aren't always "fair". People can either use that as an excuse or try even harder to overcome the obstacle.

My barber is on the local school board. He constantly whines and complains that the Catholic schools have an advantage because they can recruit. It's true. The board and AD thus refuse to play any Catholic school in the regular season. They continue to schedule non-conference games against cake-walk opponents. Every few years they make it into the playoffs and get stomped.
Now contrast that to the Wrestling program. They did the same thing for a number of years. They avoided the big tournaments dominated by powerhouse programs (including Catholic schools). They finally started entering those tournaments. Within 3 years the wrestling program won State championship. They've competed for it twice more. What's the difference? They stopped using "its not fair" as an excuse.

Life is not fair. How kids learn to deal with that goes a long way in determining how successful they will be. Coddling them does them a dis-service.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2012, 2:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Life is not fair. How kids learn to deal with that goes a long way in determining how successful they will be. Coddling them does them a dis-service.
THAT says it all.