Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:27 PM   #1

Default Basketball Photos After Advice

Thanks to Jim and John G for all the advice. The photos I took at tinights basketball game were worlds better and the editor of the paper look at me and said AWESOME. Thanks again for all the advice.

Fluvanna Co High School (VA) won the game is now off to the state Basketball Tournament.

dave
Attached Images

Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:24 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Motion freeze with the use of the flash is much more effective in this series, Dave. The challenge of using a single flash is light fall off...note the lighting on the ref relative to the players. Multiple ceiling & wall mounted strobes (not practical in this type of venue of course) would overcome this issue.

One thing you might try is to use slow synchronization of the flash where you can freeze motion and also expose for the background. I imagine you'd get some cool effects of some players motions captured in a blur, while the main subject would be frozen by the flash. You'd also get a decently exposed background. You'll have to play with the shutter speed, aperture and ISO to get a usable combination. One thing to watch out for in this set up is the difference in color temperatures between the gym lighting and the flash output. You will need to set the WB in the camera for fluorescent lighting and put a green gel filter on your flash to get the proper color for natural skin tone.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2012, 6:11 PM   #3

Thanks another game tomorrow night. Sold out (only 500 tickets sold) in under an hour

dave
Old Feb 25, 2012, 5:22 PM   #4

Boy, you did improve. I'll bet your editor was happy. I took the liberty to correct a couple of things in Shadows/Highlight and Skin Colors. Flash really screws those things up sometimes. Shoot in RAW and the control over those factors and more is amazing. What an improvement over your previous attempts.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:45 AM   #5

Well I have never shot a frame in RAW in my life manily because the contracts I have signed over the years said that all photos by all reporters and photographers will be shot only as jpeg files.

dave
Old Feb 26, 2012, 9:55 AM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Dave,

You can shoot in RAW and then convert the file (after post processing) to JPEG for submission.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:47 PM   #7

Shooting in RAW just gives you more control in post processing. It helps if your having trouble getting your settings right.
When you save the RAW image after processing you can save it as a jpeg.

Also your pic has greatly improved.
One thing that will help you is take a index card, rubberband and bounce your flash like pic below. It will get ride of the direct flash look. Just a cheap way to do it.

If you want to make a better looking one you can try here
http://www.themoment2cherish.com/DIY-Bounce-Card/
or just google "do it yourself bounce card"

Last edited by aced19; Feb 26, 2012 at 12:58 PM.
aced19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:16 PM   #8

Thanks for the suggestion I actually have a bounce card built into the flash and just need to remember to use that next time.

dave