Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:05 AM   #1

Default Surf Oceanside

A few shots taken with the Sony A580 & 18-250mm lens.

Thanks for looking.
Attached Images

Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:18 PM   #2

Some nice action. But my initial thought is there's a real lack of image quality. Either you posted images that were too large and the forum software reduced them (which degrades IQ) or the images are cropped too heavily.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:29 PM   #3
Administrator

The forums software did modify those images (recompressed them and stripped out any EXIF data that was there). I can tell because of a tag our software places in the JPEG comments section when it recompresses images.

The forums software probably modified them because the uploaded photos exceeded the maximum sizes allowed here . So, it resized and recompressed the images and stripped out the EXIF (which can sometimes result in softer images being displayed).

When you use the Manage Attachments feature (paperclip icon) to insert images, you'll see the maximum allowed sizes on the page you use to browse and upload images.

The longest side should be no longer than 1024 pixels, and the file size should be no larger than 253.9KB.

Most of the time, if you downsize images so that they're within the allowed dimensions (longest side of 1024 pixels or shorter), and use a JPEG compression (Quality) setting of around 80 percent (or around 8 on a 1 to 10 scale) with the image editor you're using, you'll be within the allowed file size, too.

If you exceed the maximum allowed size (for either dimensions or file size), the forums software will still try to let you attach them. But, it will resize and recompress the images (and the algorithms leave something to be desired).

Here's a screen showing the maximum sizes that you'll see when attaching images here. It's best to stick within those sizes (file size no larger than 253.9KB, longest dimension of 1024 pixels or shorter) to prevent the forums software from modifying your images and stripping out any EXIF info in them (since that can make them appear a bit softer due to the jpeg compression libraries the forums are using).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 12:41 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you for the input.
These shots are cropped to between 16 and 16mp.
I re-sized them using Faststone to 1024x768 which I thought may work for the post.
I agree, they are way soft compared to my originals.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 1:11 PM   #5
Administrator

The dimensions can be that large (as long as the longest side doesn't exceed 1024 pixels, that's within the allowed size for dimensions).

But, if the file size is larger than 253.9KB, the forums software is going to resize and recompress an image (and that process will also strip out any EXIF information)

You should see a JPEG quality slider you can use to set Quality when saving a file using most modern image viewers and editors. Usually, if the dimensions are within the allowed limits, then around 80% quality (or 8 using software with a 1 to 10 scale) will keep the file size within limits, too.

Here's page I found on how Faststone handles it with a quick google search.

http://www.imagingtips.com/faststone...ve/0save.shtml

If you use the File>Save As option with JPEG selected as the file type, you should see an Options button you can click on with a JPEG quality setting available. You'll find that most other image editing applications will also let you set JPEG Quality when saving an image.

The higher the quality, the larger the file size, and the lower the quality, the smaller the file size. If you try to set the quality too high for forum posting, the software here is just going to resize and recompress the image (usually making it look worse than if you'd have used a lower quality setting to begin with to keep the images within the allowed file size of 253.9KB)

So, I'd make sure the file size is no larger than 253.9KB so that the forums software here does not try to modify an image (resizing and/or recompressing the images, and stripping out the EXIF data). If you do not exceed the maximum sizes allowed for dimensions and file size, then the forums software will not modify them.

With most image editors, around 80% quality will usually keep the file size within limits if the dimensions are also within limits (longest side of 1024 pixels or shorter).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2012, 1:50 PM   #6

Thanks again for the tip on quality settings.

I resized it again to just under the limit. Lets see if any improvement.
Attached Images