Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 27, 2004, 9:33 AM   #1

Default Cheerleaders in action

The Eastern Maine Class D Champion MMHS Bulldog Cheerleaders
(They go for the state Class D cheering title in 2 weeks)

Digital Rebel in Tv Mode
1/100th shutter
18-55mm lens
Pop up flash
Photoshop Elements
NeatImage
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2004, 9:00 AM   #2

No other comments for this? Come on, this is an amazing capture!
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 10:13 PM   #3

Great action photo and great colors. Keep up the great work.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 10:34 PM   #4

Odd - I cant see any shots, looks like the site has been shut down...
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 7:52 PM   #5

This shot is spectacular. You showed me how the Rebel can perform at it's peak. I'm amazed that your shutter speed was as slow as it was; you must have caught them at just that right "slowdown" instant.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 8:32 PM   #6

I am Sorry, but if this is the best the Rebel can do .It simply shows it is a glorified point and shoot, Look at the edges, BLURRY. I will say excellant capture all the legs of the ground Good Job, but as far as good picture, Not really , I am sorry for being so critical on shots like this but I am just trying to help. In a Nut shell people expect so much out of the Camera, that simply is not designed to do what they want, or should I say what the maker of the camera wants you to believe the camera will do.!! I went threw this and spent alot of Money on a camera that did not work, but the salesman said it would.
Then I got smart,and learned,and listened, and spent the cash for the right equiptment. I am sorry if this is harsh but it is true.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 9:46 PM   #7

Cowboy, your photos are excellent, what lens did you use? And don't you think that you should be taking the lens into a bit of consideration here? Note that the cheerleader photo was taken with the standard 18-55 lens, perhaps not the most professional glass available. As well, it was processed through Neat Image. The capacity of the Rebel to capture the moment was excellent, demonstrating, as I have found myself, the quick response of the Rebel.

I'm actually a bit surprised at your response, since I had thought that you were a professional. Yet you chat in your criticism about things that relate to lenses used and not camera response.

By the way, what lens did you use to capture the great bokeh in them there horses. One thing is certain, it was fast glass, wasn't it...alot faster than the lens used to capture those cheerleaders.

Again, Cowboy, nice photos, and probably very "fast" glass used.
the glass is on the "lens" and not the "camera body."
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 8:09 AM   #8

I stand corected, Thankyou
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 8:32 AM   #9

Cowboy, first and foremost critisism is what this site is about. Why I post here is not to show off (right.... :lol: ) but to learn from others ideas, well maybe to show off also. When I took the cheerleaders photos I had owned the drebel for about a a week and it was the third time I had used it. If I was taking the same photo today would I have done it differently? Yes. I would have upped my shutter speed from 1/100th to 1/200th, gone from the pop-up flash to a larger shoe mounted flash and probably changed ISO from 1600 to 400. We all know that high school gyms are notorious for their lighting, from almost none to high contrast. I was pleased with this photo but also know it could be better.

Don't stop your critques here, it is how we learn. I for one welcome any one's opinion and read them all. I may not agree all the time but I will listen. By the way with the technology out their today any camera and I don't care if it is a 35mm or digital, is a glorified point and shoot. It is the photographer that makes the difference, his/her technique is what give a photograph its "life".
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote