Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 19, 2012, 2:28 PM   #1

Default ISO 12800 basketball

f/3.2, 1/800sec, ISO 12,800..NR, selective sharpening applied in post.

Last edited by DRGSin; Mar 19, 2012 at 2:30 PM.
DRGSin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2012, 2:31 PM   #2

straight out of the camera, no NR applied.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 2:47 PM   #3

same settings as above, straight out of camera and cropped, no NR
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:26 PM   #4
Administrator

Very impressive.

I'm starting to see some [small but expected] color shifts in some areas of the D4 ISO 25,600 images in the other thread you started titled ISO 25,600 Basketball (and those are better than expected).

But, I'm *very* impressed with these ISO 12,800 photos.

It's amazing how much technology has advanced and the D4 is certainly a leader in high ISO sports photography.

I'm jealous. ;-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:57 AM   #5

Noise control on some camera's is close to reducing the need for a fast lens..!!
Very impressive..!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:29 AM   #6

Thanks for posting. It's very interesting to see that you can crop so much at ISO 12,800 and retain "good enough" quality. What I mean by "good enough" is in the context of real world use for a sports image - 8x10 print or newspaper print. I don't care much about pixel peeping at 100%.

The first 2 images (final and uncropped) help illustrate that equipment does indeed make a difference. Too many people want to bury their head in the sand and spout on about it being only the photographer that matters. That's naive. Take that exact same photo with a d90 and crop like that and it would look far worse.

Thanks for sharing!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 7:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Noise control on some camera's is close to reducing the need for a fast lens..!!
Very impressive..!
It's still going to be a case-by-case basis. Exposure is only part of it - focus performance also matters. I recall some posts on another board about performance of Canon's 70-300L indoors on 1-series - they focused pretty well. But, not a 75-300. The lens still matters (even though both lenses are f5.6). Also, the camera's focus system still matters. At least with regards to tracking moving subjects. I suspect you'll still need high quality optics and great focus system to use an f5.6 type lens indoors.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Very impressive.

I'm starting to see some [small but expected] color shifts in some areas of the D4 ISO 25,600 images in the other thread you started titled ISO 25,600 Basketball (and those are better than expected).

But, I'm *very* impressed with these ISO 12,800 photos.

It's amazing how much technology has advanced and the D4 is certainly a leader in high ISO sports photography.

I'm jealous. ;-)
Yes I agree with the color shift. I havent shot in a gym yet where i would need 25,600 but its nice knowing its very usable. As far as football under the lights, theres one high school we play that i may need it but the others are pretty well lit.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Very impressive..!
Thanks for looking! Dont get me wrong, I love the tech in these new cameras but Ive always said, give me a "great" lens and a "good" camera and Ill be happy. And its because of what John said..Focus performance
Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
....The first 2 images (final and uncropped) help illustrate that equipment does indeed make a difference. Too many people want to bury their head in the sand and spout on about it being only the photographer that matters. That's naive. Take that exact same photo with a d90 and crop like that and it would look far worse.

Thanks for sharing!
Couldnt agree more, especially in sports!

Thanks for looking!