Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 12, 2012, 10:36 PM   #1

Default exif info

how do you view the exif info so I can tell what settings are used on a posted picture?
gwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2012, 8:00 PM   #2

Add a plugin to your browser. Do a search for 'exif viewer' and you should come up with a number of hits.
SamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2012, 9:20 PM   #3
Administrator

I keep the free Exif Viewer by Alan Raskin installed in Firefox, so I can see camera settings in an image just by right clicking on it and selecting the menu choice to "View Image Exif Data". It's a cross platform (works in Linux, OS X, and Windows).

Or, if you want even more info, you can use Jeffry's Exif Viewer. It uses ExifTool by Phil Harvey to extract a lot of the camera settings data.

There are a number of others around, too. For example PhotoME is a good one for use with Windows (but, they don't offer versions for other operating systems). After you install it, you can also install extensions for Firefox or IE so you can load it when you right click on an image. For example, here's the Firefox extension for it (install the main program first, then any browser extensions you want to use):

http://www.photome.de/firefox_en.html

But, I usually just use Exif Viewer by Alan Raskin to see the Exif in most images (by right clicking on them while browsing with Firefox and select the menu choice to View Exif Data), and if I need more info, I just click on the icon I've for Jeffry's Exif Viewer on my Bookmarks toolbar, and it will automatically give me the Exif info for the photo I'm currently viewing in Firefox.

Note that not all images posted still have the EXIF in them (sometimes it's been stripped out by the editor someone used to downsize them and save them, and sometimes it's been stripped out by our forums software if the image was too large for the maximum sizes allowed here and they tried to attach it using the paperclip icon).

IOW, if you use our servers to store the images (versus posting a link to an image on servers elsewhere) by using the paperclip icon you'll see when making a post to attach them, the maximum allowed file size is 253.9KB and the longest dimension needs to be 1024 pixels or shorter. If they exceed those sizes, we still let you try to attach them. But, we resize and recompress them and strip out any EXIF data to keep the file sizes down.

So, it's best to make sure they're within the maximum allowed sizes (and you'll see them listed when you use the paperclip icon to browse for images on your hard drive that you're attaching to posts here) so that the images are not modified and the EXIF is not stripped out.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote