Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 9, 2004, 2:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Here's a clip of one such kid
Amazing. I'm so unathletic and such a coward that the video sped up my heart--with fear. Do surfers ever get severely injured? I'm sure they get scratched and bruised, but those waves look powerful and I know water isn't necessarily soft if you hit it hard.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 10:23 PM   #12

excellent photo, excepting the following...

too much empty or negative space
not enough of the subject

it is a good photo but not fantastic, either in composition or other. sorry, but that's what I think. You cannot see the face, nor can you even guess at the face because it's too far away. The emotion loses power because of this, and the extreme difference in color between the wave and the sea also is bothersome to me. Sorry, it's a good photo, of course, but not an excellent photo. I apologize if this bothers someone, but I'm not being deceptive at least, and I hope that any photo that I post you will criticize the same way.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 10:43 PM   #13

Normcar, when I can pop for the $3000 for a 500mm then we might be able to see the face :!:
I put my stuff up for fun & to share a vision of what is around me. I don't care about perfection & find life much easier applying the KISS principle.
Your opinion, hey, everybody's got one just like ---- never mind :lol:

By the way, the negative space is showing the track of the board along the wave (important to surfers).
The color change is from the sand mixed with the water in the impact zone (ain't nature grand)
The blur is from the fact that I had surfed for 3 1/2 hours & my arms were shaking & a monopod can do only so much)
8)
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 10:55 PM   #14

John Lasseter...
exactly

For the surfer's purpose I'm sure this photo is wonderful, but for the sake of the non-surfer the goal and intention and objective is slightly different, and I don't intend to deceive anyone with respect to that matter. If you are a surfer and you look at this photo, you love it. If you are "not" a surfer and you look at this photo, you like it.

That's all I'm saying
Old Feb 10, 2004, 10:57 PM   #15

If you have a 500mm and can't get closer than that then I'd sugget that you rent a boat. And that is "not" being disrespectful, it is being honest

I apologize if you disagree
Old Feb 10, 2004, 10:59 PM   #16

If you "don't" have a 500 mm and only a 300 75, then get closer
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:00 PM   #17

Again, your photo is good

Definitely good

but not great

My question to myself is why should I lie to you. My answer is, to myself, I shouldn't, that wouldn't serve anyone well. So I have not.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:02 PM   #18

let's see, I believe that my statement was that I hadn't poped the $3000 yet, but would love to. My sig explains that I'm using a 35-350. One day I hope that it will grow up--- I feed it vitamins all the time. :lol:
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:04 PM   #19

hodad, I think I'm going to see some greatness from you eventually, but not tonight.

I hope that one day you will see some of that from me as well, but not tonight

because we are both beginners
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:06 PM   #20

I'm planning to get better and I'm planning to learn more from people like you who are very good at what they do.

I have a good outlook indeed, and love taking those pictures, and watching and listening to you guys and gals who do it more than I do, and now I'm sick of looking at my face so I'll shut up for awhile and hope that some of you go to the "Tips and Tricks" forum and contribute to my string