Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Aug 18, 2012, 7:54 PM   #1
TG

Default Karate (FZ150 P&S Superzoom, ISO 800-1600)

Here are some shots from my Sonís Karate grading. Taken with the Panasonic FZ150 P&S Superzoom at ISO 800-1600 shot in RAW & processed with SILKYPIX Developer Studio Pro 5.
Some shots might be a 1/3 to 1/2 a stop underexposed.

And a few extra shots

TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2012, 4:14 PM   #2
Administrator

I was just browsing through the posts in this forum and realized that nobody responded to this thread.

Please keep up the good work and keep posting, as I for one am impressed by what you're getting from an inexpensive camera, especially considering the gear you were shooting with not long ago. :-)

Your motorsports photos using a Panasonic FZ150 are very impressive, as traditional wisdom would require you to use a camera and lenses costing many times as much to get the same photos. As many older sayings go, phrased many different ways, it's the photographer's skill, not the equipment. So, please keep up the good work and continue sharing your images with users that could learn a thing or two from your efforts.

I just saw a post from a new user trying to get the best out of a similar camera in this thread for martial arts photos. So, if you could post some tips on how you're using an inexpensive camera model to take those types of photos, I'm sure they'd appreciate the advise.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 5:07 PM   #3

G"day TG

Like Jim ^ I had also missed this posting > but on viewing your images, I reckon that they're "very okay mate". Our family has several FZ's and love 'em to bits: we take lots of stuff like this but often feel daunted my the emphasis of so many forums / magazines upon big-name, big-$$$ dSLRs as the 'only' way to go

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 5:28 AM   #4
TG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post

I just saw a post from a new user trying to get the best out of a similar camera in this thread for martial arts photos. So, if you could post some tips on how you're using an inexpensive camera model to take those types of photos, I'm sure they'd appreciate the advise.
Thanks Jim,
Was this the thread your refering to "Help Me! Mom in distress."

Definitely a lot tougher to get good motorsport photos with the FZ150 than my Canon 1D MKII N & have had to go back to old school techniques for faster moving cars (MF prefocus). But can get good quality images.
I am very impressed with the cameras overall performance, Image quality, features & the Full HD video is brilliant.
It's great camera for anyone who doesn't want to spend the money on a dSLR kit etc. and wants the convenience of a long zoom.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:56 AM   #5
Administrator

Yep.. that was the one. Chances are, she just needs to go manual exposure with a flash and use settings so that ambient light exposure is a few stops too dark so that the flash freezes the action. But, the photos she posted didn't include any EXIF so that we could see the settings used.

If she tried to do it your way (mostly ambient light exposure, as in the photos you posted in this thread), I'm afraid she'd just end up with a lot of blurry photos unless she's really practiced with timing (so that she's shooting just as the least amount of movement is occurring) and/or is pretty good as PP to remove the noise from higher ISO speeds needed for non flash shots. But, if you've got any suggestions, I'm sure she'd appreciate it.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote