Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Aug 31, 2012, 5:12 AM   #11
TG

Hi,

Recently posted some Karate shots from my Son's Grading & JimC (Administrator) asked me to have a read of your thread and post some tips that might be able to help you out.

I use to shoot with a Canon kit (EOS 1D MKII N & Canon "L" lenses) but sold all my gear last year. Currently shoot with two Point & Shoot cameras a Panasonic LX5 (have had for a while) and a Panasonic FZ150 (purchased this because I wanted something with a longer lens).

With your camera I would shoot in Aperture-Priority Auto [A] mode set to wide open (largest apeture), higher ISO settings to keep your shutter speeds up (as mentioned by other people), your camera should be very capable of good images at higher ISO settings.

Use Single-Point AF-Area Mode, AF-C Mode (continuous-servo), single point AF will work faster than multiple points, and I find you have more control of your focus by keeping a single point on your subject.

Also when I shoot indoors I use a cusom WB (set off Grey/White Card), this helps with the artificial lighting and color cast or I take a shot of a Grey card and fix my WB later in RAW processing.
If I use a flash it is only if I am close to the action and only as a fill flash.

Have you tried shooting in RAW? If you’re comfortable enought try shooting in RAW (Nikon: NEF I think?) as you will get better image quality, can fix up exposure, WB etc. & most RAW processing software has better Noise Reduction than the camera’s inbuilt NR.

Len wise I think the 70-200 f2.8 is a good all round lens to have in your kit (good zoom range, aperture for low light & DOF for sports (isolating the subject)). I know the Nikon is expensive have you considered a Sigma or Tamron lens

Some of this information has already been posted by other people, I am no expert just a self-taught ameture but I hope some ot this advice might help you out

Tom.

Here are a some shots from my FZ150, your camera is far more capable of better image quality & noise levels than these.

My Son

1/125 sec, f4.4, ISO 800

1/320 sec, f4, ISO1600

1/320 sec, f4, ISO1600

Other Shots

1/320 sec, f3.5, ISO1600

1/250 sec, f3.6, ISO1600

Last edited by TG; Aug 31, 2012 at 10:02 AM.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 7:54 AM   #12

TG. Thanks for your input and photo's.
So, shooting in A mode, I shouldn't need a flash unless I can get up close.? As far as ISO , do you think 800 is high enough or move up to 1600? I'm always afraid that the flash is going to hit someone in the face just as a foot is headed their way, it is very bright. The other thing is that I've pretty much stayed in the multi point not the single as I believed that it would keep both competitors in better focus as they do move around a lot but I guess they are right there together.
I usually shoot in jpeg/raw , would it be best to change to just raw to make it faster.
I will try this to see how it works for me. I wish TKD was an outside sport though.
I have decided to rent the 70-200 for Team Trials next weekend. It is just $35/day for 3 days, which covers the day we leave through the following Tuesday. I'm putting a lot of hope on the lens as I keep hearing that it is very good. Is the Sigma or Tamron an AF-s and are they as good a lens as the Nikon?
Thanks for suggestions ( by everyone). This has all been trial and error for me as I'm learning to use the camera. Seriously thinking of taking a photography class although I'm not sure where to take a sports photography class in my area.
tkdmomkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2012, 9:53 AM   #13
TG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmomkm View Post
TG. Thanks for your input and photo's.
So, shooting in A mode, I shouldn't need a flash unless I can get up close.? As far as ISO , do you think 800 is high enough or move up to 1600? I'm always afraid that the flash is going to hit someone in the face just as a foot is headed their way, it is very bright. The other thing is that I've pretty much stayed in the multi point not the single as I believed that it would keep both competitors in better focus as they do move around a lot but I guess they are right there together.
I usually shoot in jpeg/raw , would it be best to change to just raw to make it faster.
I will try this to see how it works for me. I wish TKD was an outside sport though.
I have decided to rent the 70-200 for Team Trials next weekend. It is just $35/day for 3 days, which covers the day we leave through the following Tuesday. I'm putting a lot of hope on the lens as I keep hearing that it is very good. Is the Sigma or Tamron an AF-s and are they as good a lens as the Nikon?
Thanks for suggestions ( by everyone). This has all been trial and error for me as I'm learning to use the camera. Seriously thinking of taking a photography class although I'm not sure where to take a sports photography class in my area.
My shots were taken using the available ambient light. Used aperture priority (A Mode) and set largest aperture and bumped up the ISO to get faster shutter speeds in order to freeze the action. Experiment with higher ISO speeds to get faster shutter speeds and see if you are happy with image quality (Noise) at these settings.
Use the flash if you want but use it in Manual Mode and set your shutter speed, aperture & ISO (1/200 sec maximum flash sync for your camera (unless you use FP High Speed Sync). Aperture and ISO and shutter speed will effect continuous light exposure & Aperture and ISO and flash power level affects flash exposure. Experiment shooting with both methods with different settings and see what works best.
Shoot in JPEG or RAW or both, it's up to you. I shot JPEG at first changed to RAW. I like RAW because i think you get better quality images, you can adjust WB, fine tune exposure & better NR at High ISO with my cameras.
Regarding lenses the Nikon is probably a better lens than the others (Faster AF motor, better optics). There are other lenses you can use as other people have mentioned. The images I posted were taken with a Point & Shoot camera which goes to show you don’t necessarily need expensive equipment to get good shots
Do a camera course or read some photography books or the internet. Get to know your camera and what it does and can do.

Last edited by TG; Aug 31, 2012 at 7:51 PM.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote