Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:39 AM   #1

Default Youth Soccer

From this weekend. All pictures are cropped to some extent...

Comments & Criticism wanted & appreciated!

ETA: Looking at them here, I need to recrop #2.

Last edited by SamG; Aug 27, 2012 at 11:34 AM.
SamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:29 PM   #2

Sam,

Nice series here. You've got good action here, focus and exposure look good. The "odd man out" is #2 though - no ball.

The one bit of advice would be if you can, use a wider aperture. These were 200mm and f5.6. Especially in shot 1, this means the background is a bit distracting. Shot 3 also, although to a lesser extent. If you've got f2.8, use it. At 200mm you've got plenty of dof at 2.8. If you don't have it available, you can't use it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:01 PM   #3

Thanks John.

I need to go back and look at #2 again... I think the ball might be too far away (the player impact happened after the ball got away). I wish I had a 2.8. Although I'm noticing I also need more than 200mm. lol. The fields are getting too big.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:30 PM   #4

Some great action Sam , nicely done!
They looked a little flat on my monitor so with your permission I ran a little P&P on them & cropped #3 a little!.

bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 4:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman graham View Post
Some great action Sam , nicely done!
They looked a little flat on my monitor so with your permission I ran a little P&P on them & cropped #3 a little!.
No problem Graham... I agree #3 looks better with the tighter crop. Which brings up a question of mine... when I crop, I try to 'contain' in a standard photo size (usually 5x7, but occasionally 8x10 or 4x6). Should I do that or just crop to make the photo 'right'?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 6:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamG View Post
No problem Graham... I agree #3 looks better with the tighter crop. Which brings up a question of mine... when I crop, I try to 'contain' in a standard photo size (usually 5x7, but occasionally 8x10 or 4x6). Should I do that or just crop to make the photo 'right'?
It depends on how you intend to use the photo. If you're going to potentially print the photo then keep the aspect ratio for that. But for posting on the web, nothing says you can't make a different crop that has no set aspect ratio. It's good practice. Usually I'll make a 2nd copy of any photo I'm going to post in a thread.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote