Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:46 PM   #1

Default d7000 local mma fights

my first time taking this style of sports photography all shot with d7000 with sigma 70-200 2.8 lens

aperture:2.8
shutter speed:1/400th
iso:4000
Attached Images

Last edited by zombz; Jan 28, 2013 at 9:53 PM.
zombz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2013, 8:58 PM   #2

any comments/suggestions
Old Jan 30, 2013, 8:22 AM   #3

Boxing and MMA can be very difficult. You've gotten the exposures and WB pretty good here - so that's important. You also got close enough to the cage so you don't see the cage wire - that's a big plus. With exif stripped I can't tell the focal lengths used to determine how much cropping was done. 1/400 is fine for a lot of ground work, but the strikes really suffer from motion blur. For a fist time, it's pretty good but this is a type of sport that is very difficult to do well. So, the critique may sound harsh but that's only because shooting the sport is so difficult.

Some specifics:
shot 1) nice action but this one is really hurt by motion blur and softness - could be you uploaded a file too big and the forum software downsized it or it could be you overcropped the photo (again without exif I can't see focal length to judge).

shot 2: a bit too tight on the framing/crop as you've cut off body parts. It's also a bit early in the action. No strain on the arm yet so the photo doesn't show the technique at good affect and you don't see either face. This is something that makes shooting certain sports difficult.

shot 3: missing the opponent. This is a combat sport - you need both in the frame. Even so, the face is not in good focus - very likely a combination of where you were focused and motion blur.

shot 4: no real action here, the face isn't in focus and the light and flare is a major distraction. Sometimes you can't help those lights but there's nothing compelling in the shot to overcome the distraction.

shot 5: Again, you are missing the other combatant, motion blur really hurts the sharpness of the face.

You have to decide if shooting this type of sport is important to you because it takes practice to get timing and framing right. For strikes you want both combatants in the frame and that takes practice.

Take a look at the posts in DGRIN from this guy. He does a lot of MMA shooting. He's not one to help a lot of people on the forum but you could always ask - you'll always get the best advice from people who shoot the sport regularly:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=202667
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:16 AM   #4

Thanks for input and i didnt crop any of them it was a hard event to photograph with a 70/200 2.8 and a real dark venue but i will try again at the next show practice makes all the difference