Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:04 AM   #1

Default The London Marathon 2014

Never posted a critique outside of the camera forums but there's always a first, and as you guys are pro's at shooting sport, I'd like to see what you think.

So here's a couple of snaps and the link to the weekends London Marathon gallery:

1. Stephen Kiprotich of Uganda

2. Tito Sena of Brasil

http://harjtt.smugmug.com/Photograph...n2014/n-NM3vc/

I'd like your CC on the pics .. all taken with an Oly E3 + 35-100F2 .. not the best kit for shooting anything moves but its all I have atm. Shot Raw and the PP'd in LR.

Cheers

HArj
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:50 PM   #2

I'm no pro but I'll give you some CC. I think they are very nice. I don't think out of all of the nice photos you took that #1 on here does you any justice since the person is cropped all the way to the right. I think your series is quite nice. It's just too bad that the sun is behind them on most of your shots giving you the shadows on their faces. Other than that, I think they are very good.
wolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 7:52 PM   #3
TG

Same CC as Wolverine (you posted just before me as I was typing), don't like the half missing arm and so much dead space in the left of the image in shot one, was this cropped or as taken. Great DOF in both shots really separates the runners from the background and looks like some difficult lighting condition with the sun towards the back and right of you. You could have used some fill flash if you were close enough.

Last edited by TG; Apr 17, 2014 at 8:06 PM.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:31 AM   #4

TG/Wolves,

Thanks for the comments guys.

The first shot and nearly all of the others in the gallery are as taken. Only 3 pics have been cropped - the wheelchair racers and one of the elite women athletes. Looking at the 1st pic .. I farmed the shot like that but I agree with you on the arm/shoulder being missing in the pic taking away from the shot. Unfortunately thats the only one of Steve Kiprotich that was in focus, the two frames before are OOF and the cam failed to take any shots afterward that one. I had quiet a few problems with the cam inc burst 5FPs or 4FPS modes where the cam was effectively doing 1fps, so thats all i was able to snap of him at that range.

The lighting when the elite runners show up was bad - that location your looking directly into the sun for the first 3-4 hours of the race. Its one of the few spots that is not taken before 8:30am and where you can spot the runners heading for the final 1-2 miles. Flashwise, I didn't bring it with me and I was pretty far back that the onboard may be been useless but its something that I will do for the next run.

Cheers

Harj

Last edited by HarjTT; Apr 18, 2014 at 9:44 AM.
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote