Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old May 9, 2014, 11:52 AM   #1

Default Before the battle

From the battlefield at Spotsylvania, Virginia

Part of the Union line.

Confederate skirmishers advance

Confederate artillery moves into position to unlimber

A riderless horse normally means the rider has been shot from the saddle. Not so in this case. The rider DID take a tumble, though. It took them quite a while to round this guy up.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2014, 12:52 PM   #2

OK, since this is the sports and action forum, here is my feedback within that context:
Photo 1: has the most potential because there is still good detail. There's a sense of preparation and good demonstration of the # of people involved. I would crop off the bottom more though - all that grass doesn't add to the story of the photo - having more of a pano to the photo will, IMO, improve it

Photo 2: Either cropping, processing or downsizing has really removed /smeared a lot of detail here. From a content perspective - maybe I misunderstand aspects of civil war era techniques but this seems much more like people milling about than advancing a skirmish line.

Photo 3: your cut line talks about artillery moving but that's such a small part of the photo and again detail is smeared/removed.

Photo 4: The horse fills the frame but just isn't in good focus - looks like a heavy crop was done. 1/280 is also a bit slow of a focal length. Given the ISO was only 100 a higher ISO might have resulted in a sharper image.

Overall, I'm not sure if it's cropping or downsizing but details in the posted photos are rather poor. If they look better on your PC maybe the posted photos were too large and forum software reduced them - resulting in the smearing and lack of detail.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2014, 2:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
OK, since this is the sports and action forum, here is my feedback within that context:
Photo 1: has the most potential because there is still good detail. There's a sense of preparation and good demonstration of the # of people involved. I would crop off the bottom more though - all that grass doesn't add to the story of the photo - having more of a pano to the photo will, IMO, improve it

Photo 2: Either cropping, processing or downsizing has really removed /smeared a lot of detail here. From a content perspective - maybe I misunderstand aspects of civil war era techniques but this seems much more like people milling about than advancing a skirmish line.

Photo 3: your cut line talks about artillery moving but that's such a small part of the photo and again detail is smeared/removed.

Photo 4: The horse fills the frame but just isn't in good focus - looks like a heavy crop was done. 1/280 is also a bit slow of a focal length. Given the ISO was only 100 a higher ISO might have resulted in a sharper image.

Overall, I'm not sure if it's cropping or downsizing but details in the posted photos are rather poor. If they look better on your PC maybe the posted photos were too large and forum software reduced them - resulting in the smearing and lack of detail.
Unfortunately, I found out too late that EXR mode doesn't work well when the HS50 is racked out. I'll have another whack at it in Gettysburg.

Thanks for the C/C.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote