Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:57 AM   #1

Default UK Rugby

A few images from Friday night. C&C welcome as always. Kind regards Graham.

bluesman graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:50 AM   #2

I have always liked your shots. I have even gone as far as watch a few rugby matches because your images do such a nice job of conveying feeling.

Looking at the EXIF data every shot except for the last was at either 1/1250 (top four) or 1/1000 (number five). Is it just me or can I actually see a difference in the clarity of the image?

Every shot was done at 300mm f2.8. How do you set your camera to capture the motion shots?

Steve
Old Boat Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:31 PM   #3

Hi Steve,
Thank you for your input Steve. You can indeed spot a difference in clarity due to both distance & lights . I have the set up as manual/auto iso with a minimum of /400 to at least keep the noise down!, with the newer D4s & D5 I'll be more happy to set the min to /800th but it'll cost me lol. Kind regards Graham.

I'm glad your watching rugby!, that my friend is awesome & my job here, is complete . next game take yer camera & shoot it? good luck!

Last edited by bluesman graham; Feb 17, 2016 at 1:35 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 3:28 PM   #4

Hi Graham. The closest I get to Rugby is on TV but do watch. Rednecks aren't real big on the sport. If someone were to build a stadium and offer free beer it would be packed every night.

My curiosity with the camera settings for action relates to the stuff I am currently trying to shoot. When I went to the softball games and now to the track I use shutter priority and diddle the iso to keep the aperture close to wide open. There was the regular guy for the track shooting a full frame Nikon who sets aperture priority at f2.8 diddling the iso to keep the shutter speeds high enough to stop the action.

Does your experience with action photography lead you to think one method or the other might be preferred?

Steve
Old Boat Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:29 PM   #5

Personally Steve I go full manual with Auto ISO set as stated to a minimum of 1/400th @ 2.8 to allow for as lower iso as possible sometimes adjusting the shutter speed up if the lights of the stadium are better or the specific sport requires it. Of the options you provided I would go with Aperture priority as a defused background in sport defines the action and iso is as I've said getting a bit more irrelevant given the newer cameras' scopes!. Regards Graham.