Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 21, 2016, 3:07 PM   #1

Default drag racing 2-20 Evadale

Evadale is a great place to shoot drag racing for the unlimited access. I spent most of the afternoon leaning on the track border wall.

The Blue Chevy truck runs sub 9.0 second quarter mile runs consistently.

C&C always welcome
Attached Images

Old Boat Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2016, 3:10 PM   #2

The slicks on this Camaro were working over time
Attached Images

Old Feb 21, 2016, 3:59 PM   #3
conor

Loving the shot of the "Pro Street" Ford.
I find the near-45 degree viewing angle more flattering for vehicles than the more common angle like the one used for the blue Chevy below it...

Any chance you cropped the shot of the Ford from a frame had a bit more to the top, left, and bottom?
A little light above the roof, the rest of the tire, and a touch more of the passenger door would really set this shot off, IMHO.

Last edited by conor; Feb 21, 2016 at 4:03 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 5:59 PM   #4

The shot of the Ford was one of a burst series and is just where it ended up, I resized for the site but no crop on that one. Most of this is still spray and pray so I get anywhere from three to six shots of each car leaving the line depending on the car. My framing and panning still need work so with more practice should hit more of the "filled the frame" shots. There is a guy who has been going to this track from the day it opened and his comment was "the first 10,000 are all practice". Shooting in burst mode and getting carried away I did 1,200 shots over a five hour span keeping about 100 to play with.

Here is an example using the Charger. There was a fourth showing the underneath of the front end from about 15 feet that did not focus as it should have. These are all cropped and resized the same

My A-550 and the Sigma 50-150 f2.8 APO lens really seem to like one another.
Attached Images

Last edited by Old Boat Guy; Feb 21, 2016 at 6:04 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 10:06 PM   #5
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Boat Guy View Post
The shot of the Ford was one of a burst series and is just where it ended up, I resized for the site but no crop on that one. Most of this is still spray and pray so I get anywhere from three to six shots of each car leaving the line depending on the car. My framing and panning still need work so with more practice should hit more of the "filled the frame" shots.
A couple times I volunteered to be on a tournament paintball field trying to take pictures. For those folks who aren't familiar with tournament paintball, you have 10 to 14 bodies on the field 170x120 feet, with paintball guns shooting 10+ rounds per second at 300 feet per second. "Taking some pictures" turns out to be a lot harder than it sounds, so I know the pain! =)
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:05 AM   #6

Each activity has its own unique difficulties. There was a guy here with the username pbjunkie who would post some great paintball images and either staged some of them or had the best luck with timing of anyone shooting paintball.

I will keep the angles in mind and give your suggestion a try on the official opening day of the track on May 5th. The panning rhythm needed at a baseball game has nothing in common with a day at the track so everything new has its own learning curve. At the end of the day I get some good shots and the photos seem to make the subjects happy so that is what really matters. I would not turn down any money if it happened to come my way.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:42 AM   #7
conor

Quote:
Each activity has its own unique difficulties. There was a guy here with the username pbjunkie who would post some great paintball images and either staged some of them or had the best luck with timing of anyone shooting paintball.

I will keep the angles in mind and give your suggestion a try on the official opening day of the track on May 5th. The panning rhythm needed at a baseball game has nothing in common with a day at the track so everything new has its own learning curve. At the end of the day I get some good shots and the photos seem to make the subjects happy so that is what really matters. I would not turn down any money if it happened to come my way.
I'm sure that if you printed up some of the pictures and approached the owners, many would pay! =)
Old Feb 22, 2016, 1:02 PM   #8

There is a little money coming in and expect it will improve with more exposure. It is slow going at first
Old Feb 22, 2016, 4:57 PM   #9
conor

Quote:
There is a little money coming in and expect it will improve with more exposure. It is slow going at first
Awesome! I look forward to reading any tips and tricks you might come up with
Old Feb 23, 2016, 1:19 PM   #10

The only tip I can really offer is keep depressing the shutter release button. I do some 4x6 prints on my Kodak printer here at the house and hand them out. Great publicity and exposure. Enjoying myself also helps and I think shows to the people who might want images.

Every time I show up at the track and few more people recognize me and wave. As I was packing to leave this last time a lady with a group of the bikes came and asked if I would be back for opening day. When I said yes she told me everyone in their group wanted me to get shots.