Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 9, 2004, 3:07 PM   #1

Default More Gymnastics....

This time not only was the lighting bad as usual, the physical layout of the gym was not designed for taking pics! Usually meets are in a bigger arena... this was in an actual gym and i couldn't get anywhere close to the equipment...

Did get a few nice close ups....

http://www.tammyandjohn.com/PhotoAlb...e_04/index.htm
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2004, 6:21 PM   #2

Great stop-action, color saturation and exposure indoors, Mr. Saginaw!

Kudos!
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 6:30 PM   #3

nice shots

i especially like the shots of them upside-down on the balance beam.....nice
good job taking good pics in a bad situation (lighting, setup, etc.)
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 6:57 PM   #4

Thanks guys!

Like I said the set up was terrible. All the spectators were crowded in one little corner... Well, lets just say some people had a fit because I was standing upfront.... I'm taking pictures of our team while they are COMPETEING and they are upset because I was blocking their view of the WARM UP area... I couldn't believe it! It was WARM UPS! I had one vaulter left, 2 minutes max and this OLDER gentleman THREATENS ME! I couldn't believe it.... I've got this guy by 100 pounds... and i've got my trusty Sigma 70-200 f2.8 in my hand.. And this guy is going to "Move Me"... Over a warm up! Oh, well... shook my head and moved on... Then it dawned on me... there was a guy earlier who asked me if I was going to take pictures and then wished me luck.. I thought it was kind of weird.. I mean DRebel on a 70-200 f2.8 lens I would have thought it was obvious.. Then I thought he must know how difficult it is to shoot indoors with the terrible lights... Then later on it hit me! The reason he was wishing luck was he must have had a run in with that nice gentleman...

Was the first time I've been confronted so angerly... a little upsetting.... So then my step-daugher tells me the coach has offered to make me the "official" team photographer so I can be on the floor! woohoo!

Ok... done ranting!
Old Mar 9, 2004, 7:09 PM   #5

great news!!! you get to be on the floor!!! niiiiice!

some times it is the little old guys you gotta watch out for......probably has some health problems are bugging him....and he is just taking it out on anyone he could! lol you just made him have a reason (if you could even call it a reason......more of an excuse) lol
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 7:15 PM   #6

Very nice shots for " Bad lighting" situation, You will run into people like you have discribed, Don't let them intimidate you. (Not saying they do ) you know what I mean. I usually check with the AD at any high school or collage first and get his ok. Then If I have a problem I tell them to check with the big cheese, Allways backs them off. But the head coach will work also. Have them make you up a pass to wear around your neck as "Official Photog" . When wearing the "Badge of Courage" most won't even question you... Good Luck
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 7:43 PM   #7

Dale,

You know I bet the event organizer wouldn't be able to give me a Magic Badge... These meets always have an official event photograpahy vendor... I'm sure it's in the fine print of their contract... Surprised none of them have complained... You know like the pro sports arena won't let professional looking equipment in because you might go to good of picture and infringe on someones copyright...
Old Mar 9, 2004, 9:14 PM   #8

Default Gym shots

Mr. Saginaw.....Just curious as to what settings you used on these shots and particularly shots you've taken in the past for basketball (I think it was you who posted some b-ball shots). I took some the other day of my son's team and put my Oly C5050 on the camera's Sports Mode. The result wasn't too bad but it introduced more noise than I would have liked. Just wondering if you can make any suggestions for settings in the gym. He's got another game tomorrow and I'd like to get back at it. I'm coach too so don't have a lot of time to be fiddling with the settings once things get going. Thanks for any suggestions you can make and your shots are fantastic.
aliasd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 9:50 PM   #9

Mr_saginaw, Maybe no one has complained because it is NOT in the fine print ,think about it... I think you have the eye that it takes to go to the next level, You obviously know the sport and that is a big help. You said "Vendor" is he selling to parents? Clubs? It all depends on what type of club this is, Is he being paid by the club? or just freelancing for sales. Many times I have shot with "other" photogs at events and it basicly comes down to the best sells... now if he is contracted and payed by the event that might be stepping on there toes...well if I were you I would be looking up some options to get in there... As official team photog you allready have the first step done.... Just my opinion Good luck..
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 6:06 AM   #10

Alias,

Did a quick check of the specs on your Oly... nice camera!

Couple of things come to mind...

I would put the Oly in aperture mode and set it 1.8 and set the ISO to 400. All of my pics are in Av mode with the aperture set to 2.8 and the ISO is usually 1600. I noticed you mentioned that at the higher ISO you get a lot of noise (grainy). My 1600s are really noisy too but I run them all through Neat Image. Doing that I can actually print a descent 8X10... but the kids are thrilled just have the pictures on the the computer! Which means those 1600 noisey pictures are fine... Also read in Steve's review that if you turn the "Sharpness" setting down (to -1 or -2) that helps reduce the noise... For my intended uses, web pages, 4x6's and maybe an occasional 8X10, shooting at 1600 is fine...

Whiile you asked only about setting I thought I would throw some other comments in... maybe someone will find them useful...

One thing I have come to accept about shooting sports in these low light events is that I will never be able to freeze the really fast action... I have learned to accepts blurry hands and feet.. But I've also changed my strategy. I used to try and capture pictures at the height of the action with terrible results. Every thing was just a blur! Ok... here's where i get philosophical. Hesitation... I try to shoot what i think of as the momemnt of hesitation. That moment where action seems to stop but yet still appears to be going on. Does that make sense? An example would be the jumps on the balance beam. Picture of the take off and landing tend to be blury... Shoot the pic when she is at the top of the jump, when she's not going up and not coming down yet... The moment of hesitation when gravity says Whoa! LOL!

I've only shot BBall a couple of times but I think there are those times too... You can't stop the action of a player running full speed down the court but look for the situation where they hesitate... but still have that sense of action..
Here is one of my favorite BBall pictures... It's not really an action shot but yet it has impact...

The other thing is practice... lots of practice! LOL!