Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jun 24, 2004, 1:24 PM   #11

no way man !! as stated in the action shooting mission statement on the website..all shots are 100% real!! what you just said is exactly whats so amazing about my form of action shooting, it boggles the mind!! i took this picture myself, it was in th old lunchroom of my school.We have been doing this for a long tme, and learned all the tricks to make the jumper look super high. These arent secrets--we want people to be doing action shots and then sending them into out site!!

WHen action shooting (flying high action shots, not like normal action shots) there are a number of different types. On the website, the first gallery depicts the first type, generally referred to as "hovering". The second type (as seen in gallery 4 and most of gallery 5) is taken from farther away, to catch the height of the jumper along with the trick they are peforming. Thats what that picture was.

THe height is achieved as follows: the jumper jumps high (obviously) but then tucks his knees up. If he tucks them too high, its llooks awkward and looks like hes jumping, and they key to action shots is to make it look like hes NOT jumping, but rather like hes justy chilling in the air. (The guy on the left-jacob-achieved this however the guy on the right looks cool, but it looks more like hes jumping.) My keeping his legs tucked, it makes him look 2 feet higher up. imagine if his legs were straight out like he was standing. he would then look like he jumped off a pop machine and the picture would look logical. ***But by tucking the legs in, he looks super high, andTHAT is the essence of action shots, making the viewer ask - "howd he do that? that cant be real" but as i said before--every picture on action shots is real.

another big reasonm why that cant be fake is because i dont know jack about photoshop or any of that stuff, i have one simple program that came with my camera which helps me make the backgrounds for my page..and thats it!! so when you say something about "flash on the EXIF data" i really have no idea what your talking about so i dont know how to explain it!!:-)

so please --keep on doubting the action shots..thats whats so amaizng about them!! theyre real!! and making people question how the hell the jumper actually got so high is what theyre all about.

keep flying high

dan

http://www.flyinghigh.co.nr

p.s--crouching on the ground and taking the picture from down low also really helps!!

shinie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 2:47 PM   #12

oh by the way....you said you see the relfletion off the glasssrvsd, but thats not the reflection from the flash, thats the reflection from windows which are to the left. (you cant see them they are too far left of the picture
Old Jun 24, 2004, 5:48 PM   #13

Fabulous shots guys! really creative work, though if I am honest I'm with SRVSD on the last one, would like to see a higher res maybe and have a closer look...

tho that reflection off the window!? thats very bright for a fast shutter speed an no flash! And also the whiteness off the table/seating furniture (below wood) on the right along with the the left hand vending machne below the glass makes me suspicious....

nevertheless, the rest look quality, genuine or not... good technique well executed, thought provoking work.

Jim
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 9:45 PM   #14

I still don't believe the last one, but will not dwell on it beyond this. I especially doubt it if you say they're just jumping on their own.

1. You're not that low (from the perspective I'd say you were squatting) nor are you that close to them (EXIF says focal length 5.4mm--maximum wide angle for the Canon PowerShot SD100 camera used in the photo). No matter how you slice it, these guys can't be vertically clearing more than their height. From that distance they would have better vertical jumps than NBA players.

2. Everything else has shadows from ceiling lights (like black chair next to Coke machine). Neither of these guys are casting any shadows on the ground.

3. Reflections reflect back to the source. I've taken plenty of flash photos where someone's backpack or jacket had a strip of reflective material on it just like yours. The backpack is reflecting the flash. If there was a flash (which I also think is what is on the vending machine) there should be shadows from these guys on the wall too. They should project larger images on the wall since it is farther away.

4. The white color on the table and coke machine is a different exposure than the hat on one guy and t-shirt on the other.

5. The left guy looks like he was doing something on a skateboard and the other guy looks like he was squatting.

I really don't care if they're real or not. I think the site shows a lot of creative thinking. But I'll never be convinced that the last one is real. I've taken too many photographs and played around with Photoshop enough trying to correct all of the things I've mentioned in my own photos to believe that it is the real thing.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 12:29 PM   #15

haha thats cool man no hard feelings

but yeah they are real cuz i took the pictures myself! im glad that the "popcan express" turned out so cool that its hardky believeable (and i guess a computer cant even comprehend it from what your telling me !!)

i guess i cant really supply any moer proof becauseim really just some kid who got a camera for his birthday and figured out something really fun to do with it!

i wish i understood what EXIF is or whatever to understand exactly what it means!

anyways, thanks for your scepticism, its that kjind of publicity is whats going to take "action shots" worldwide !!:-)

tell your friends about the page..if you have any more questions about how i took the picture or anything just ask!!!

Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:03 PM   #16

Dude, no way, thats awesome! Now THAT is the way to party! Checked out your site too, and I think Im gonna have to try to take a few jumps while Ames (discodudette on here) takes pics of me.

Although, one time at a bonfire, me and my friends started trying to jump over my backyard bushes... just for fun. And here is the result of the action shot... Looks painful, but he came up with a smile onhis face as I went down on the ground laughing my head off. I believe this would be what you called the 'crash' style of photography, when they are hitting the ground.

And then at another party, we amused ourselves by jumping into the pool although noone had any bathing suits. I took this one of my friends. Twas a great night of fun. Lol.

Hmm, I have alot of jumping pictures... Lol. We must think alike, my friend.

Jenni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:16 PM   #17

srvsd wrote:
Quote:
I still don't believe the last one, but will not dwell on it beyond this. I especially doubt it if you say they're just jumping on their own.

1. You're not that low (from the perspective I'd say you were squatting) nor are you that close to them (EXIF says focal length 5.4mm--maximum wide angle for the Canon PowerShot SD100 camera used in the photo). No matter how you slice it, these guys can't be vertically clearing more than their height. From that distance they would have better vertical jumps than NBA players.

2. Everything else has shadows from ceiling lights (like black chair next to Coke machine). Neither of these guys are casting any shadows on the ground.

3. Reflections reflect back to the source. I've taken plenty of flash photos where someone's backpack or jacket had a strip of reflective material on it just like yours. The backpack is reflecting the flash. If there was a flash (which I also think is what is on the vending machine) there should be shadows from these guys on the wall too. They should project larger images on the wall since it is farther away.

4. The white color on the table and coke machine is a different exposure than the hat on one guy and t-shirt on the other.

5. The left guy looks like he was doing something on a skateboard and the other guy looks like he was squatting.

I really don't care if they're real or not. I think the site shows a lot of creative thinking. But I'll never be convinced that the last one is real. I've taken too many photographs and played around with Photoshop enough trying to correct all of the things I've mentioned in my own photos to believe that it is the real thing.

Ya see.. I think they jump off of things to get air... It would get kinda boring just leaping around...

In that last one they climbed up the popcan machines and then leaped off of those... see the chairs next to the machines? I bet that's how they got up on those.

sick pics and website. I signed your guestbook... Im most def taking some action shots next time...
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:17 PM   #18

hey thanks!! im going away for a couple motnhs on sunday so after that there wont be any updates for a while, but im going to try to put up 2 galleries..including those ones you (jenni) posted !! these are great !! keep sending me your pics and join the action shots nation!!!!

dan
Old Jun 25, 2004, 11:25 PM   #19

oh well then maybe we'll try and get togehter (me and jenni) and take a plethora of them for you to update. have fun wherever you go... I will expect some action shots from the place you go?
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 6:46 AM   #20

shinie21 wrote:
Quote:
(The guy on the left-jacob-achieved this however the guy on the right looks cool, but it looks more like hes jumping.) My keeping his legs tucked, it makes him look 2 feet higher up. imagine if his legs were straight out like he was standing. he would then look like he jumped off a pop machine and the picture would look logical. ***But by tucking the legs in, he looks super high, and*THAT is the essence of action shots, making the viewer ask - "howd he do that? that cant be real" but as* i said before--every picture on action shots is real.*
Discodudette,

I mentioned the chair earlier, but in his reply above he says they just jumped and it only "look(s) like he jumped off a pop machine."
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote