Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jul 27, 2004, 5:04 PM   #1

Any comments?

Sbrown712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2004, 6:02 PM   #2

I learned this in a hurry. Avoid the parked car look. With the Superbikes I usually stayedfrom 1/250 to1/500. I still had a bunch of OOF shots, but you captured movement. I'd say I had a 25% keeper rate. Just something to keep in mind in the future.
aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:25 AM   #3

Hi Sbrown,

Since you are looking for comments, aaltenburger is right. It does look like a parked car with no action. Personally, I have only taken a few action shots - none worth posting so maybe I should not be commenting. :?
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:58 AM   #4

One other thing. You can quicken up the shutter for head-on shots. Those don't really matter. It's the panning ones that you should be trying out. I'm pretty sure this was shot at 1/90. Anyway, you get the idea. Accept the fact that you'll have OOF shots and keep shooting. This has a little softness unfortunately.

Old Jul 28, 2004, 11:16 AM   #5

Boy, I'm jealous! I make my living in video production, and I was hired to make a promo video for a race track. This month, I was able to be up-close and behind the scenes for Nascar and Indy. Unfortunately, I was not able to use my still camera!! I had to do everything with video. I would have loved to shoot stills. For me, stills are fun, video is work. :sad:

Darrell
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 12:38 PM   #6

Darrell,

If you're ever in need of someone to take stills.... :-)
Old Jul 29, 2004, 3:56 AM   #7

aaltenburger wrote:
Quote:
Darrell,

If you're ever in need of someone to take stills.... :-)
This is the best one I've ever seen from you, Andy. You are getting to the point where I'm almost embarrassed to critique your work. You have finally broken the mold. I think you are going to be successful for "two" reasons: you want it...and...I decided to edit.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2004, 8:46 AM   #8

Thanks Norm,

The problem for me now is time. A job, 3 kids (2, 6, 9) , 1/2 way through my masters in IT, shooting little league/high school stuff. I REALLY would like to shoot motosports in some capacity, but that appears to bea tough area to crack if you are not a "professional".

Maybe there's a niche out there I haven't found for that. I do still want to do the local sports stuff because that's something I can take the wife and kids to while I shoot. I soooo want to be done with my masters. Not sure what, if any, benefit I will derive from it. At least I'll have the thing.

How do you go about selling photos if you happen to catch a few good ones? For my other stuff, I just upload to Pbase. On my website, I put a link to each game and tell parents to provide me with the game and image numbers. The motosport stuff is certainly different. You pose some questions as a newbie on some of these other sites and they attack you like a pack of hyenas....

So, ANYONE'S thoughts on how to approch sales for moto photos? How to get my name out there? What to charge if anyone wants to hire my services, etc. Millions of questions, but few answers.

Thanks,
Andy

Old Jul 29, 2004, 8:46 AM   #9