Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Sep 12, 2004, 1:41 PM   #1

Greetings;

This post is in regards to a great opportunity to anyone who will be in the southern UK the first week of October. The annual Weymouth speed week provides an excellent opportunity to see some very fast sailboats, multi-hulls, windsurfers, etc. in a week-long series of speed trials. I've never been able to attend, but I understand that because of the layout of the harbour, you can take some excellent shots of the boats in action. In my former life, I was an avid windsurfer. Those things can go FAST!!!

Check it out at:

http://www.speedsailing.com

Best regards,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 12, 2004, 3:55 PM   #2

Thanks for that Tom. Weymouth is just up the road for me so i may take a look. Ive got a feeling the British surf championships is on at the start of Oct so i hope they dont clash.
How did you find out about it? Point Pelee sounds a long way off from Weymouth :-)
Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 9:52 PM   #3

Hello, Mealers;

I discovered Weymouth in two ways. First, as an english literature teacher, I had taught Moonfleet for a number of years. That wonderful story begins and ends on the Dorset coast. (not just Hardy country) About ten years ago, I took a trip across the pond to see some literary sights (and drink some ESB).Weymouth is, to say the least, an interesting blend of carnival sub-culture and pastoral beauty.

Secondly, for years, I was an avid windsurfer, I still would be, (occasionally still) but Lake Erie, where I live tends to get too rough as the winds pick up. There is something seductive about physically holding onto a sail at around 20 knots (my best guess of my top speed) The windsurfers at Weymouth approach 50 knots, if you can believe it.

While you're at it, check out Corfe Castle, one of the most powerfully moving sites on the Dorset coast. And of course, just a few miles the other direction is Lyme Regis, a wonderfully moody place to take pictures.

Regards,

Old Sep 13, 2004, 5:54 PM   #4
NJP

Tom,

Thanks for the mention of Weymouth Speed Week. I was following up on refering URLs and was intrigued to find the link back to this site, especially as it had helped me considerably in my camera research. I hope to give my new EOS 300D some exercise ifI can spare some moments between organising and timing the competitors, I plan to use a 28-135 IS lens which seems to give me good results whilst bobbing about in small boats, especiallyin 25 knot winds!

Mealers, if you or anyone else seriously wishes to take action pictures I would be very happy to try to get you out on the water, perhaps on one of the timing boats in exchange for the non commercial and credited use of some pictures. Bring warm wet weather wear and a life jacket if you can source one. Send me an email.

Nick Povey
Attached Images

NJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 7:25 PM   #5

Wow!!!

Nick Povey!!! I am so incredibly pleased to meet you. You are one fast windsurfer. If I am correct, your top speed is very close to40 knots. (I haven't checked records lately) It is too bad that my job does not allow travel in October. I would love to be in Weymouth for Speed Week.

I haven't sailed much in the last couple of years, but would really like to get out on some fast, flat water.

Warmest regards,

P.S. Best of luck this October. (I hope you'll be sailing) I'll be sure to watch the website for your results.
Old Oct 13, 2004, 12:55 PM   #6

Hi all;

I apologize for dragging a "dead thread" back to the top of the list, but I was wondering if anyone got a chance to take in Speed Week. Unfortunately, I spent the week chained to a desk on the wrong side of the pond.

Regards,

Old Oct 13, 2004, 3:23 PM   #7

Tom Overton wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, I spent the week chained to a desk on the wrong side of the pond.

Regards,

Sorry Tom and Nick, I spent most of that week at work floating around the 'pond'. :roll:
Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote