Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 16, 2004, 7:20 AM   #1

Here are a couple of pictures that I took at last night's football game. I have been having a problem with the player's eyes. Could some one please give me some step-by step advice toclear this problem up to make them look more natural as I am still a novice to this editing stuff!!

Any advice on a good user friendly editing program would be appreciated! I wonder if a flash bracket to get get the flash up off the lens higher would help eliminate this problem???

I used the Canon 20D with a 550 EX flash mounted right to the camera.

Thanks Randy
Attached Images

Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2004, 7:21 AM   #2

Picture # 2
Attached Images

Old Oct 16, 2004, 7:31 AM   #3

What is happening is that the flash is reflecting off the back of the eye. Better known as red eye. To correct it you can use an off camera flash. You need a bracket that attaches to the tripod socket on your camera and a flash that has either a cord that attaches to the camera or has some kind of remote trigger. This also depends on the camera used. I am just BARELY scratching the surface on this subject. Do a yahoo (or any search engine) search on the subject of photographic red eye and off camera flash. I would think you will find a lot of information on the web.

As for software I really like Photoshop Elements 2.0 but most good photo editing programs have red eye reduction of one kind or another.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2004, 1:06 PM   #4

K1par,

Thanks for your response, I have delt with red eye before, but this goes beyond that, infact I have not found an editing program that deals with this "halo-glowing" effect. The red eye removers do NOT work with this, I also have this problem with animal's eyes at night when I use a flash. Rodeo pics at night are another example.

Thanks again, Randy