Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Oct 21, 2004, 3:18 PM   #1

I do JV/C squad/Middle School VBall pretty often during the fall, and wondered if anyone has suggestions that won't cause me to break the bank. The only fast glass I currently have is a Nikon 50/1.8 so I've been using that with my D70. If things are timed right, I can get some decent shots at the net or of digs. Obviously with the 50 filling the frame is difficult without cropping, but the advantage is the higher shutter speed with the 1.8. I've started experimenting with flash on 1/4 and 1/2 settings, which would allow me to use lenses with more reach. I'm still saving up for a 70-200 2.8 lens. However, when I set my 1.8 to 2.8 in A-priority mode, shutter speed is only around 1/100 or so (with ISO maxed out). Would that mean a 70-200 2.8 lens would also only be at 1/100 or not? Obviously faster focusing would be nice since the 50 and D70 hunt in a fast moving sport like VBall where even using EL doesn't seem to help much. I don't have any fancy strobes, just an SB-28 flash. Any tips or suggestions/recommendations?
Thanks in advance.
I've attached an example of what I've been getting with my current combination.
Attached Images

murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 25, 2004, 7:06 AM   #2

Without flash, a 2.8 just isn't going to cut it with volleyball. The f/2 does the job, barely. Volleyball is by far the toughest for me to shoot given the speed of the game and the lighting conditions. Give me basketball any day.
aaltenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2004, 1:22 AM   #3

Went to another match Tuesday, paper I do stuff for sent their own photog so I was able to do a bunch of experimenting. Tried getting net shots from back of the court with the 70-300 and flash. Tried a bunch of different settings (different bounce angles, different ISO, different power output, etc.), learned a lot. Of course now that I've learned some tricks season is pretty much over, LOL. :lol:
Old Oct 29, 2004, 2:41 PM   #4

Given conditions, your photo is quite good.

Nice shallow DOF and true colors.

Foreground is sharp.

Ball not "frozen" is actually a plus...hints at movement.

Just keep doing what you are doing

Perhaps, if allowed, you could get closer to action and thusbe able to fill more of frame and have flash be more effective.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2004, 3:09 AM   #5

digcamfan, thanks for the compliment and feedback. That shot was with the 50 in A-priority mode, I believe f2.2 at ISO 1600, no flash, right next to the net and cropped a bit. I believe shutter speed was right around 1/250 or so. The extra reach of an 85/1.8 would be nice but for now a higher priority is getting a 2.8 midrange zoom like the Tamron 28-75 2.8 XR Di. :-)
Old Dec 2, 2004, 4:10 AM   #6

Here it is exactly a month later, and now I'm considering getting an 85/1.8 for basketball season. Shooting my first game Friday with my 50/1.8, I'll see how that goes first but I'm thinking if I got the 85 I would decide which lens to use most and put that on my D1H, then put the other lens on my D70. :idea:
Old Jan 14, 2005, 5:41 PM   #7

Maybe get a really fast F1.4 or F1.2 50mm primelens?

I was thinking of doing that myself. Getting a Canon 20D, hike it up to ISO3200, and attachsuperfast600mm prime toit. Then I could take some shots wide open at 1/250th or 1/500th handheld indoors without a flash.

Just a pipe dream for now!

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:01 AM   #8

I ended up taking advantage of Nikon's rebates and got both an 85 1.8 and an 80-200 2.8 lens. The 2.8 doesn't work in all gyms (esp. middle school gyms) but the 85 has been a dream. Much faster focusing than the 50 1.8, plus it allows me to use high enough shutter speeds to stop action.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 10:18 AM   #9

i was thinking of getting a digital slr and the d 70 , but i was wondring for shooting my kids sports which include volleyball,baskeyball softball wrestling ,and football , what woudl be the best way to go ? like the 20d goes up to 3600iso which would be faster but would produce more noise i would think but woudl it be enough to ruin a printable 8x10 , would the d70 be adequate with an iso 1600 o would it produce a lot of noise and create a poor print as well. I odnt have a lot of money to spend but would liek to get good pictures of the kids. What lens would you go with ? would you use flash or is the action to far away ? what shutter speed or aperature settings would you look for ... Thanks Bill B

i currently use a 750 ultra zoom and get very grainy results but it only goes to iso 400... and it is slow ..

zwdb08@yahoo.com
zwdb08 is offline   Reply With Quote