Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 1, 2004, 9:23 PM   #1

Experimenting with shutter speeds and ISO...

Comments appreciated...

I really wish I understood why I lose so much quality as I post to the site....

Attached Images

WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 1, 2004, 10:34 PM   #2

cool shot

i like the slower shutter speed effect!

ok...i'd like to try to help you...see if i can figure out what might be going wrong when posting...

now, you'll have to spill...lol, if you could list what you do to a picture from scanning to posting...

does it lose it's quality when you hit the send button? or is it from the scanning step?

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2004, 10:50 PM   #3

I take the memory card out of the camera, insert it in the computer, the pictures load, and they look great on the screen. I hit resize and make them so they are 680 by 400 something for pixels. When I post them to the internet, here or at my website, they look much less clear. When I send them in emails at full size, they look fine according to people who get them.

Someone said that if you save images from your camera to the computer in jpeg format (which I have always done), you lose quality compared to if you save them as tiff right off the camera. I don't get how I could change it to save it as a tiff file off of my memory card at this point.

Clear as mud???!!!:?
Old Dec 1, 2004, 10:56 PM   #4

hm...how do they look after you resize them? resizing can sometimes really hurt the quality...

i don't think saving them as jpegs would cause extra noise...i could be wrong though...

Vito
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:26 AM   #5

They are so small on my screen when I resize them. I use Photoshop Elements 2.0 or Microsoft Photo Editor to resize them. Is there some trick to resizing so you don't lose quality?
Old Dec 2, 2004, 4:16 PM   #6

After resizing you can zoom in to bring them back up to a viewable size. You may need to enlarge the window i.e. drag out the lower right hand corner.

I have just noticed that your picture file is only 74.2kb so you are compressing it a lot more than is necessary. After resizing, when you come to save, do you get an option of what quality to save at? Probably with a number between 1 and 10 or 12.

I usually save at around 9 and then check the file size in Windows Explorer/Properties. If it is close to 240kb, thats fine. If it is too far either side, delete it and then resave with a higher or lower setting
pjohnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 5:00 PM   #7

hmm...photoshop elements should resize it cleanly...and i don't think compression would add noise...

ok, here's wat i do...i resize with "Image Size", to 600 pixelsas the longest side...

then go to "Save For Web"...which seems to work well, and it shows you a preview of your photo...

i'm not sure if elements has that...if it does, it would be worth a try

Vito
Old Dec 2, 2004, 8:54 PM   #8

If you're using the image resize from the main program window, make sure you havechecked "resample image" and select "bicubic" as your resample algorithm. This may help.

If you're using Elements "save for web" to resize, you should be getting pretty good results. Elements resamples your image when it runs the resize routine. My settings are JPEG at maximum resolution, with the quality usually between 95-100%. I usually resize my pictures to 25-30%, and have usually gotten good results. With these settings I can usually reduce a 15meg file to less than 240k.

Try messing around with your settings and let us see your results.

Thereis a shot I just resized using this procedure in the close-ups forum.Thistle

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

P.S. I really like that shot. It makes me wish it was summer again.

Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:09 PM   #9

My try using "save for web" in Photoshop Elements 2.0.
Attached Images

Old Dec 2, 2004, 10:49 PM   #10

Have you checked out the resizing/interpolation threads? There's a lot of discussion on the issue of quality loss... (some of it apparently contradicting what I suggested above regarding resampling.) What resolution are your shots when you load them off the camera? When do you resize? (last, I hope)

Let us know (see) how you make out.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote