Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 26, 2005, 6:32 AM   #11

murphyc wrote:
Quote:
Mr_Saginaw wrote:
Quote:
Have you tried any of the noise reduction programs? I'm a Neat Image fan. I shoot ISO3200 and with Neat Image I'm able to clean my pics up and I'm able to produce some pretty amazing 13 X 19s..
I tend to take things one at a time, LOL. Now that I've gotten equipment (camera and lenses) I should be set with for a while, I'll start looking into other things like noise reduction programs. In addition to Neat Image, isn't Noise Ninja another popular one?
yep, Noise Ninja is one and there a number of others... I downloaded the free trial version of Neat Image. Found is very easy to get good results. Since a need to do a 100+ pics at a time i bought the Pro version so I can do unlimited batch processing...
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2005, 9:51 AM   #12

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on choosing a camera/ lens for shooting my kids sports , basketball, wrestling ,volleyball and softball. I currently own an Olympus 750 ultra zoom and it only goes to iso 400, and i shoot at 125-250 shutter speed to try to allow more light on th e sensor but still the pictures come back with noise or grain in the facial area.,and lack detail . Is there something i am missing ? or should i step up to a dslr? Owe and i open the aperture all the way open usually . I was contemplating a d70 or the rebel , based on feel of camera and the way the features dials ,switches etc are laid out the nikon feels more natural like a true camera and easy to use. But i have hears mostly from the canon dealer that canon will take a much better (clearer detailed picture when enlarged past 11x14 ) he claims that nikon creates noise ,and moire in the highlights or fine details when enlarged. He had a picture they took of an employee blown up to a 30x30 picture and the detail of her hairs was awsome , very sharp and detailed .He claimed nikon would produce a red haze in the same area. is this true? I did try totake in account that it was processed with there professional equipment not a home printer. I then went to a different camera dealer in the mall ,and shot some pictures using both camers in their high or fine jpeg mode . I took pictures of people walking by , i had trouble figuring out the focusing .but did take some pictures with shutter set at 125, iso at 400 tostart with then went to 800, then 1000 but noticed canon didnt have a 1000 or at least i couldnt find it . But the pictures with the nikon came out the same as i would see them with the eye but the faces were blurred , and i noticed when using the burst that the first two or three were more blurry than the last two. The canon produces extremly dark pictures ,and had to be lightened ,but once they were lightened the persons faces were very clear in compariosn. I beleive the apeture was set to auto on both camers and that it wasnt fully open...no flash was used ... I was trying to see how existing light would work so i could see or try to estimate how the camera would work in a gym. The colors seemed about the same on both ,the images appeared very flat ,matted looking , not real sharp ,in comparison liek shooting a 35mm in dim light at iso 200 ....I am going to try to reshoot again and compare mbecause i want the camera that will produce the best and most accurate prints i ususally blow up to 8x10 or 11x14 in size...Does anyone have any recomendations ? I dont want to break the bank right away just get some good shots of the kids that arent blurry or real grainy and i can actually get good detail... my email is zwdb08@yahoo.com
zwdb08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 9:57 AM   #13

I was wondering if anyone could give me some help with shooting sports inside a gym.Last night i tried shooting basketball ,and the action was fast , when using burst with no flash the pictures were poor very grainy. If i used tiff or a raw setting with an external flash , pictures were very nice and clear. But the flash couldnt keep up as niether could my auto focus ,not to mention the recycle time for my camera to load from the buffer to the card. I shoot with an Olympus ultra zoom 750, and it is slow . i missed quite a few shots. It does great for slower sports like wrestling where the action is more centralized. I was wondering A. With a dslr, if i didnt use a burst mode , how fast could they recycle to the card and be ready to take the next shot? B. is there a flash unit that can somewhat keep up with the action? C. can a flash unit be used with the burst mode. D. is it the burst mode that gives the camera's their 2.5fps or 3fps as the case with the d70? E. is there any other technique i could use to capture the action and still get a good printable photo? The reason i ask is i was wonder if i shoudl spend the money on a good flash and if so what type would work , or go for a faster lens, than say a 70-200mm 3.5-5.6 ? A friend of mine told me he always shoots sports with a flash unit and a seperate battery pack, for his 35mm, an dhe is switching to digital and assumes it would be the same. He is going for the 20d. anyhow any help would be appreciated . Thanks Bill B zwdb08@yahoo.com
zwdb08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 1:13 PM   #14

zwdb08, I would kindly ask that you start a separate thread with your questions instead of hijacking multiple threads with the exact same post. You have questions I'm sure others have, and there are plenty here who could provide answers, but the questions are better off IMO in their own thread instead of a thread of similar yet different topic. This sports forum is probably as good a place as any to post a new thread with your questions. Like I said, there are plenty here who can give tips and suggestions but with the same questions being asked in multiple threads you'll have different conversations covering the same thing multiple times. :-)
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 4:23 PM   #15

Hey zwdb08,

How about hitting the "Enter" key every now and then?

You really cannot think that I, and probably others,want to stop and read all that jumble. Please, separate your thoughts into nice, neat paragraphs that encourage me to stop and read your posts.

Thanks,

SA Flyer
SA Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2005, 2:11 PM   #16

I've read "short" stories with fewer words !
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote