Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 6, 2004, 12:01 AM   #1

Finally ! Some good shots.

Using my Nikon D70 , sigma 70-200 , 1.4 conv. (which ill prob. take off next time), nikon speedflash sb-800.

Settings , well since i am a rookie at this , i just played around with them.

Flash still learning how the thing works so i left it on what was working,dont ask.lol

camera , well I think it was on A with ,1/125 (which made a big diff.) dahh lol.

just learning the settings so forgive me if im not really sure of some.

Just know i can get better gym shots now. The speed flash made such a diff.

I took a game and half of the next with it , didnt run down as fast as i thought it would. course they are only 1hr. games. Cant wait to go to the high school games.

Love this

link

http://www.pbase.com/yankees/nikon_d...d_flash_indoor

wvyankeegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2004, 7:10 AM   #2

nice shots, anyway you could have got further away from them? seems like all the feet are cropped off which is a pity.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2004, 4:25 PM   #3

yeah thats why im taking off the 1.4 conv. that will help.

I shot at diff. places ill prob. stay up on the stage next time.

thanks though
Old Dec 7, 2004, 5:20 PM   #4

At least you crawled before you started walking. I jumped right into the frying pan witha college game. I guess the equivalence of action would be comparable to Dorothy of the Wizard of OZ spinning in the cyclone. I wasnt prepared for the fastpaced action being my first basketball game. Although I had a 50 1.8, 85 1.8, and a 28-75 2.8, I still ended up shooting flash. But I made sure I got permission from all officials involved. The flash got me thru this first game. But what I did do was return the 50 1.8 for the 50 1.4. Those lense and the D-70 will make you have this cameras own private room in your home. Im falling more and morein love with this camera each day I wake up and look at it.
bern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2004, 5:53 PM   #5

Yeah i think setting up the shutter speed and using the speedflash made a big diff.

i tried using the flash on it earlier in volleyball games but i just didnt like them as much, plus i had the shutter speed slower which prob. is what the main prob. was.

Here is my site if you want to check out some WVU football shots my first college stuff. And some other football midget league stuff.

thanks !

www.wvshutterbug.com

Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:54 AM   #6

Flash imposition? I was wondering if you were getting dirty looks from fans or players...

The "running man" icon on the D70 works well with my 85mm in most of the gyms I've tried out this season.

My manual attempts are getting better - but I haven't had the courage to shoot with a flash.

I bet you love the D70 as much as me - hope your team all grows to 6'5" or taller!

farmwifeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 8:37 PM   #7

Good effort! Good action!

I would however agree about the feet being cropped off... Basketball is best shot vertical.
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2005, 11:46 PM   #8

This has been my first year doing sports in gyms, personally I'm loving both the 85 1.8 and 80-200 2.8 lenses. If lighting is good enough, I use the 80-200 (no flash); if lighting is bad I use the 85 (also no flash) since you can take advantage of the camera's speed (FPS) that way. Especially now that I have a D1H, I'm hooked on shooting at 5 fps from the baseline. Pics get some noise due to high ISO, but that's a tradeoff I'm willing to take. Finally figured out a wrong focus setting, now I'm getting layups in focus. :G
I usually start in A-priority mode to see what shutter speed I can get away with. If it's reading 1/250 or more for shutter speed, I switch to manual at 2.8 (or 1.8 if using the 85) and 1/250 or higher.
Oh yeah, I also agree about shooting vertical. Pretty much all my bball shots with the D1H have been vertical. Didn't realize just how cool the vertical shutter release was.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 4:00 AM   #9

murphyc wrote:
Quote:
... Pics get some noise due to high ISO, but that's a tradeoff I'm willing to take...
Have you tried any of the noise reduction programs? I'm a Neat Image fan. I shoot ISO3200 and with Neat Image I'm able to clean my pics up and I'm able to produce some pretty amazing 13 X 19s..
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 2:24 PM   #10

Mr_Saginaw wrote:
Quote:
Have you tried any of the noise reduction programs? I'm a Neat Image fan. I shoot ISO3200 and with Neat Image I'm able to clean my pics up and I'm able to produce some pretty amazing 13 X 19s..
I tend to take things one at a time, LOL. Now that I've gotten equipment (camera and lenses) I should be set with for a while, I'll start looking into other things like noise reduction programs. In addition to Neat Image, isn't Noise Ninja another popular one?
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote