Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 8, 2005, 9:15 AM   #21

Here's a little better action shot. Same params as the last, 50mm f1.4, 1/250th, ISO1600.
Attached Images

MitchInOmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2005, 3:23 PM   #22

Mitch,

Thanks for posting the shot!

Those shots are pretty good, but I'm wondering if a little bit of the darkness is

from the white balance selected, as there's a bit of a yellowish hue to the photos.

Have you tried any shots with iso3200?

I appreciate your posts because you're the only one I know trying out sports shots with exactly the setup I'm thinking of purchasing!. I'm thnking of getting a 20D with A Canon 50mm F1.4 lens!

Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 9:51 AM   #23

I was wondering if anyone could give me some help with shooting sports inside a gym.Last night i tried shooting basketball ,and the action was fast , when using burst with no flash the pictures were poor very grainy. If i used tiff or a raw setting with an external flash , pictures were very nice and clear. But the flash couldnt keep up as niether could my auto focus ,not to mention the recycle time for my camera to load from the buffer to the card. I shoot with an Olympus ultra zoom 750, and it is slow . i missed quite a few shots. It does great for slower sports like wrestling where the action is more centralized. I was wondering A. With a dslr, if i didnt use a burst mode , how fast could they recycle to the card and be ready to take the next shot? B. is there a flash unit that can somewhat keep up with the action? C. can a flash unit be used with the burst mode. D. is it the burst mode that gives the camera's their 2.5fps or 3fps as the case with the d70? E. is there any other technique i could use to capture the action and still get a good printable photo? The reason i ask is i was wonder if i shoudl spend the money on a good flash and if so what type would work , or go for a faster lens, than say a 70-200mm 3.5-5.6 ? A friend of mine told me he always shoots sports with a flash unit and a seperate battery pack, for his 35mm, an dhe is switching to digital and assumes it would be the same. He is going for the 20d. anyhow any help would be appreciated . Thanks Bill B zwdb08@yahoo.com
zwdb08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2005, 5:38 PM   #24

Bill,

You fired off a lot of questions there, but let me give you a few principles to work with.

- I never use the built in flash. It recycles too slow because both the camera and the flash have to work off it. I use an external flash with AArechargeable batteries. You can take probably 100 flash shots with AA rechargeables in an external flash. You'd only need an external battery pack (usually sold as a bum pack) if you're going to be taking an incredible number of shots. I bought a Sunpak 383 for about $60 from B & H Photo video, and both my flash and camera recycle real fast (I use the flash at 1/8 or 1/16 power as fill flash).

- I never use the continous shooting mode. I usually prefocus my shot to a specific area, then let the action move into it, then fire away at the shutter. Shoot wide (zoomed out), and you won't miss many shots due to poor framing.

- You need to shoot 1/250th, or even better, at 1/500th shutter speed to freeze the action. You may have to crank your ISO setting up to ASA800 or ASA1600 if you want to get a shot that doesn't look too dark. Shoot with the widest aperature you can get, you'll need it.

- Obviously a Canon 20D is good because you can get clean shots at ISO1600 or ISO3200. I'm looking at maybe using a Canon 50mm F1.4 lens (very fast lens) because when your shooting indoor, the llght is low, and you need as much light hitting your sensor as possible.

Follow the above, my friend, and you are well on your way to become a sports shooter.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2005, 3:55 PM   #25

Let's see if I can answer at least some of the other questions (other people, help me out here)

zwdb08 wrote:

Quote:
A. With a dslr, if i didnt use a burst mode , how fast could they recycle to the card and be ready to take the next shot
Depends on the media (CF, Memory Stick, MMC, SD) and the speed of the memory card (Ultra II, "Memory Stick 'Pro'", etc). But pretty dang fast, especially if you don't have a preview on. I'm sure others can point to links demonstrating this, but I'd say 1.5 secs max with a good, fast card.
Quote:
B. is there a flash unit that can somewhat keep up with the action? C. can a flash unit be used with the burst mode
Depends. My Sigma 500 DG Super will fire in 3 out of 4 shots in burst mode on my Digital Rebel IF the flash is not firing a full power. I'm sure there are better flashes with faster recycle times if you're willing to pay the $$$

Quote:
D. is it the burst mode that gives the camera's their 2.5fps or 3fps as the case with the d70?
Well, yes, with my digital rebel, it is the burst mode that gives it its 2.5 fps. The Nikon advertises somethign called "continuous drive" with a "dynamic buffer" of 3 fps. Nikon people can describe what that is and whether the "dynamic buffer" ever fills up.
Quote:
E. is there any other technique i could use to capture the action and still get a good printable photo? The reason i ask is i was wonder if i shoudl spend the money on a good flash and if so what type would work , or go for a faster lens, than say a 70-200mm 3.5-5.6 ?

I think Terry answered that question pretty darn well.
perdendosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2005, 1:35 PM   #26

I just bought a Canon EOS-1 Mark II to take family photos (Hobby only). The lens I use (canon 28-135mm) has image stabilization. For indoor (gym) basketball (no flash allowed), shoud I turn it on or off? Maybe it doesn't matter.

John
McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote