Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Dec 24, 2004, 10:24 PM   #1

First tries with my new *ist DS Pentax DSLR, I wasn't allowed to use a flash so I needed to go with ISO3200, Sigma 28-200mm zoom and NoiseNinja to remove the noise. Still, much better than with my Fuji S7000 I had before. Since it is my first DSLR I still have a lot to learn, so please let me know what you think.

alvitdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2004, 7:54 PM   #2

Nice job capturing the action! May want to try lightening the pics up or setting the exp. comp. I also find that I get the best results in gyms by setting a custom white balance (not sure the capabitly of your camera..)

john
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2004, 8:57 PM   #3

Thanks John,

I have the Pentax *istDS , the problem is always that the lens isn't fast enough. I used alreaddy 1600ISO to get still a fast enough shutter to freeze the motion but I also create a lot of noise( even though it's much better than on my old Fuji S7000 at 800 ISO). Anyway, I ordered totay on ebay a 50mm F1.4 lens which will gain me 3 stops, that should be enough to compensate for the exposure, w'll see.

Thanks for your comments

Tom
Old Dec 30, 2004, 4:57 AM   #4

Hey tom,

I find that Neat Image does a great job on the noise in my gym pictures... I purchased the Pro version so I can do them in great big batches... :G
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2004, 12:46 PM   #5

John,

yeah, I use Noise Ninja Pro which is great but I realy hope to not have to exceed 800ISO because you still lose some details by doing so. BTW. I checked out your website, great job and defenitely a even nicer car. Back 7 years ago when I lived still in Berlin/Germany I used to have a Porsche 928 S4 but your Boxter really tops it (My Dreamcar). Well, know some years later, having 3 kids and collages coming up (was free in Germany :-) I need to wait some more years but I will get soon my new bike.

Anyway, have a happy new Year

Tom
Old Jan 25, 2005, 12:58 PM   #6

Just found this post and thought i'd give you a few tips for shooting basketball. The pictures look very dark and the colors are off. I'll add a few of my pictures to show you how mine come out. Try getting an angle where you can get the most lighting. I try and stand on the side line a few feet in front of the basket, that way I can get the players faces as they run, pass, dunk etc.I ussually use a sigma 24-70 f/2.8 with an iso of 400.

Attached Images

DannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 2:33 PM   #7

Good first efforts!
I agree with Saginaw and Danny about lighting since it appears a bit dark. What shutter speed, aperature speed and WB setting did you use?
Also, I would recommend getting into the habit of shooting vertical as much as possible. It looks like the first pic may have been vertical, or else it was a highly cropped horizontal shot. By shooting vertical, you get rid of a lot of stuff on the sides that detract from the focal point of the pics.
I would also second Danny's suggestion on where to take pics from. I don't know where you're allowed to stand but closer to the action would allow better angles. If you're using a 50 1.4 being closer would be especially helpful since it would be hard to fill the frame from the stands with that lens.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2005, 2:46 PM   #8

Thanks for all your advise, in the meantime I got the perfect lens for it, it's a Pentax SMC 85mm f1.8 compare to the zoom which gave me an f5.6 at 85mm. I will get some pictures on my girls basket ball game on Friday and will post the result. The 50mm did not work out that well, as you mentioned I can't really get much closer to the action so the 85 should do it. I also have a 135 f2.8 which is s bid to close for most shots. What I need is a 50-135mm f1.8 altheway trough:-).

The shots I posted by the way where shot with a Temron 28-300 at f5.6 and 1/125sec, which shows the bad result.

Thanks again

Tom
Old Jan 29, 2005, 6:21 PM   #9

Thought Id post these 2 done with the 50-1.4. Seems that I have solved the dim light problem, though I had to shoot at iso 1600. That allowed me to use a shutter of 200. Not as sharp as I would like, but I guess that comes with practice.
Attached Images

bugshutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2005, 6:30 PM   #10

forgot to downsize
Attached Images

bugshutter is offline   Reply With Quote