Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Jan 8, 2005, 12:21 PM   #1

Watched my first college level gymnastics meet last night. Fairly good light. I set the ISO to 3200 and my Sigma 70-200 to 2.8 gave me a shutter speed of 1/200 to 1/250, which almost stops the action. Here's one of my favorites of the batch...

Gosh, i love ISO 3200... :G

I've got a few more pics up at:

http://www.tammyandjohn.com/Sports/M..._05/index.html
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2005, 1:22 PM   #2

those are nice photos. I was going to pick upo the canon 70-200 f4L but now you have me considering Sigma 2.8.
minutephotos.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 1:30 PM   #3

Thanks!

I've been extremely happy with my Sigma... no regrets what so ever. I't been a super lens.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 5:56 PM   #4

Mr Sag, those pics are very nice. Boy if I could get that lighting in the basketball gym. The gym im shooting is the gym of the hometeam im shooting for (Community College), and it is probably the worst lit gym of all the schedule games. They only want me to shoot home game.
bern888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 6:05 PM   #5

great shots, never ceases to amaze me what gymnasts do with their bodies.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 7:07 PM   #6

That's just incredible how they can train themselves to do flips on something so narrow like that.
Kenny_Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2005, 8:04 PM   #7

Thanks, guys!

My step-daughter is a competitive gymnast. She's in the gym 20 hours a week during the school year (she's a sophmore in High School) and 25 during the summer (she trains year round).

As far as the lighting... it was a fairly bright gym, better than most... but having the ISO 3200 available is going to be a big help. My step-daughter has a meet this coming weekend. Will be interesting to see how pictures from this meet last year compare... DRebel vs 20D.. :|
Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:27 PM   #8

I was just getting ready to purchas Canon 70-200 F4L for my Digital Rebel. I plan on getting the Caon 20D also but wanted to get better lenses first. Is the Sigma 70-200 2.8 equal to or better than Canon 70-200 F4?

My goal is to eventually use these lens on the 20D when I get it. I do not want to get 20D and use exisitng 18-55 kit lens or 55-200. Was goin to go all Canon L-series. Am I missing something by not looking at 3rd party lenses?
Old Jan 9, 2005, 4:54 AM   #9

minutephotos: I can't speak directly for the Sigma lense [ maybe someone else can help] but the Canon 2.8 70x200 is about the best you can go. Everything else may be a compromise from that. Just recently I was in your shoes and looked hard at the Sigma which gets very good reads on the net. I chose the Canon because it has IS, is Canon, and is L glass. It is also pretty pricey and a little on the heavy side. I am amazed by how quick it is to focus, never owned anything this fast. I use a 1.4 tele adaptor on it quite a bit and see no photo quality problems at 8x10 size. Am seriously thinking about a 2x adaptor till I can afford a 100x400.

Good luck
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:41 AM   #10

Thanks, who wouldn't love Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS or a S-class benz with AMG kit? both heavy, fast, and have stablization...

The key is what can you afford? I definately can't afford either. So, back to the real world Sigma 70-200 F2.8 EX HSM or Canon 70-200 F4L. Both of these lenses are in my price range and both get really good reviews. The key is 2.8 vs F4 how much of a difference is there really? the other difference besides wight is minimal focus distance 6' for Sigma and 4' for Canon.

I had my mind made up to get the Canon F4L but then I read of some speacial feature the 20D (my next camera) has that requires f2.8 lenses.