Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 9, 2005, 9:54 AM   #1

Shooting gym shots with Nikon D70 with AF Nikkor85mm F1.4Dlens ; set 1/100 at F1.8. I like a little blur in the area that shows action (ex., hands coming up on a layup)but otherwise would like shot crisp. Working against myself with slow shutter speed; to compensate, I'm manually prefocusing on a spot under the boards and shoot there. I get one excellent shot out of 4 or 5 which is ok. I also use a monopod to steady the shot. I'm new to digital (not to photography) and would appreciate any tips.:-)
SPORTSHOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2005, 1:37 PM   #2

hello sportsshooter,

I have been at a lot of my high school teams basketball games this season. And i have found that with the lens you are using, i would suggest uping the shutter speed to 1/125 this would still have you the look of bluring in the hands and feet.

Also, something you might want to try is setting the shutter speed to about 1/200 and then use Photoshop CS or Elements, to digitally blur the hand and feet. that way you can be sure to get the crisp action shot.

You can see the pictures i have taken with a canon Digital rebel, at my website

http://www.shutterlens.com

-Travis Swentosky-
NPPA Member
NAPP Member
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 7:54 PM   #3

Surpised how much your shots look like mine before I edited them with Nikon CaptureEditor or Adobe's Photo Elements 2. Your shots would definetly pop out of the dark as well as lose that blue cast with a treatment by either one. Hope you aren't offended. Were I in your shoes I would be thrilled to see what either one of these editors could do for me. As I said, your shotslook just like mine before these editors improved them.

Ciao!
SPORTSHOOTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 10:05 AM   #4

I think I know what your talking about. I took some pictures one day with a slow lens, just to see how they would come out. I got shutter speeds around 1/100 and 1/200. The shoes and parts of the hands and ball were all blurred. I think you might like this picture.
Attached Images

DannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 6:19 PM   #5

Dannyo,

Thats a nice shot for sure,

If you ever want to freeze the action, you can dial up your shutter speed to 1/250th or 1/500th.

You'd probably need to dial up your ISO to ISO1600 or ISO3200 to be able to use that high a shutter speed and still get good exposure.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2005, 9:45 PM   #6

Oh i only used the kit lens that came with the digital rebel, knowing it would come out bad. I don't much care for those photos. I only used it once to see how it came out. I have a tamron 28-75 f/2.8 that i use and have no probems at all. I only go up to iso of 800, everything freezes with 1/600 of a second. No need to go to iso1600. Thanks though. Good luck.

Danny O.
DannyO is offline   Reply With Quote