Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 15, 2005, 3:38 PM   #1

Well, I know nothing about Tennis... but... I went over to Midland on Sunday and shot the Women's Singles Finals. Even to someone who doesn't know tennis this stuff was INTENSE! These two women really battled it out!

The technical stuff...

20D with Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX HSM. Manual f2.8 @ 1/640 and ISO3200. Images cleanup up beautifully in Neat Image.

To view the rest goto: http://www.tammyandjohn.com/hidden/DCTC_2005/index.html
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:59 PM   #2

There is a real problem with this photo - there is only one.
Great shot, what intensity
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:12 PM   #3

Yes, it was a very intense match! Like I said I don't know much about tennis but these woman were really battling it out! Funny story.... I'm sitting next to the photographer from the local paper (an intern). The match goes to a tie breaker. Now I have no idea what that means.... so i lean over and say to him, "I don't know anything about tennis. I have no idea what happens now..." He laughs and says, "Neither do I!" Now we're both laughing! :lol:

When I got home and started looking at the pics I was amazed at how their feet leave the ground when they really hit the ball! Amazing!
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:26 AM   #4

I just went to your sight. Those are some EXCELENT photos! Outstanding! Very sharp and hardly any noise. I'm guessing it was a sunny day out thats how you were able to get such high shutterspeeds. You should pick a few more of those pictures to put in this forum. I'm sure everyone would love them. I'd also like to know how you have your website set up...maybe you could send me a pm about your website because im looking to start my own. Thanks

Danny O.

P.S. The very last one on your website is my favorite. She's cute too :G
DannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 2:55 PM   #5

Thanks, Danny.

Actually this tournament was INSIDE! It's a little cold here to be playing tennis outside... got a foot of snow last night! LOL!

Indoors I basically shoot ISO3200 and wide open at 2.8. Neat Image cleans things up nicely! :G

My website is hosted by www.olm.net. Nothing fancy. Bought Front Page... very simple.... people at olm have been great...

Old Feb 21, 2005, 5:48 PM   #6

NICE! I continue to be amazed at the quality of your indoor action shoots. I have a couple of questions (beginner stuff). I have seen references here and other places to ISO3200; however, I have only been able to "dial up" to 1600 on the my 20D - am I missing something obvious? Also, without spending much of your time (or covering a topic that is best addressed elsewhere), is there a simple answer to the following question - what type of adjustments do you typically make in Neat Image? I know that is probably not simple, but I just started capturing RAW images and I really dont know where to begin. I downloaded Neat Image and Jasc Paint Shop Pro, but I really havent done much with them - other than accept some auto adjustments (but wasnt that what I was trying to avoid with the RAW image):-? Any help that you could provide (or point me to) would be greatly appreciated - it seems that we are working under similar conditions (fast action, low light, indoors...) - but your photos look much better than mine.
acrabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:22 PM   #7

Great shot and even better knowing that it was indoors. Enjoy that new lens of yours, I hear that it's superb.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 6:36 PM   #8

My primary reason for picking the D70 was for its 1/500 flash synchconducive for my wedding photography. If I could have foreseen my little minor contract with a local Community College with their Events Dep., I probably would have been sold on the ISO3200 sensitivity more.

Does anyone know if any Nikons have ISO3200 around the D70 pricebracket. With the Noiseware out, ISO3200 presents a tremendous latitude.
bugshutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 7:12 PM   #9

Mr. Saginaw,

Great shots! I would hardly know you weren't really into tennis.

Goes to show you great photographers adapt!

Is that focal length 70-200 with or without the 1.6 multiplication factor?

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 8:47 PM   #10

acrabb wrote:
Quote:
I have seen references here and other places to ISO3200; however, I have only been able to "dial up" to 1600 on the my 20D - am I missing something obvious? ...

Any help that you could provide (or point me to) would be greatly appreciated - it seems that we are working under similar conditions (fast action, low light, indoors...) - but your photos look much better than mine.
There is a Custom Function you need to switch on to enable ISO3200... can't remember which one and my batteries are on the charger! LOL! It's labled ISO Expansion.

For Neat Image I just do the very basic stuff. Nothing to fancy. I click a lot of the "automatic" buttons... LOL

The best advice I can give for low light sports... Fast lens... you have to be willing to spend some $$$ to get descent lens...