Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:25 PM   #1

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I would like to get some professionals opinions on this photo. I am currently a senior in high school, and i plan to continue photography in college and earn an Assoc. Degree.

This fight occured during my high school's teams playoff game. The tension in the game had been growing all night. Both team's fans set right next to one another. And it had grown into a cheering contest between the fans.

I tried to capture both the fight on the court, and the fans reactions to it.

The information on the photo is:

Camera: Canon Digital Rebel
Lens: Tamron 28-80mm
Shutter: 1/160 second
ISO: 1600

Please provide me some feedback on the photo. Anything is appreciated. Thank You

-Travis Swentosky-
NPPA Member
NAPP Member
Attached Images

tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2005, 10:56 PM   #2

Good action shot. I like it. When working with a shot like this, it is sometimes a good idea to experiment with tighter compositions as well, if the light will allow. At ISO 1600 things are starting to get a little noisy, so use a noise reducer (stand-alone or plug-in) You'll like what it does for your low-light shots.

Good work, and welcome to the forums.

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://www.darwinonline.org/index.php?cat=11078
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2005, 11:08 PM   #3

OK image!

I agree with Tom on the tighter compositions, it helps focus attention on what is important in the image. It is generally better to simplify an image and remove extraneous matter that just adds to visual confusion.

From the looks of it a hockey game was trying to breakout in the middle of that basket ball game. :blah::blah::blah:

Peter.

I've taken the liberty of doing a bit of cropping to your image, alsoapplied neat-image, USM, and grayscale. Just to show what effect a different crop has.
Here you just have the fighties and the surprised spectators.
Attached Images

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 3:16 AM   #4

I would have zoomed in for a very tight composition which eliminates the ref who draws attention away from the main action because his back is turned to it. The added benefit of the longer focal length is that it would have blurred the background as I have done.
Attached Images

lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 3:49 AM   #5

By the way, Travis, I realize that given the lens with which you were shooting it would not have been possible to zoom in for as tight a crop as I did. Obviously, a longer focal length lens is needed. A 2x converter would give you 160mm, but you'd lose an f-stop so you'd have to shoot at 1/80 second at the same aperture which means hand-held shots probably aren't possible. What am I getting at? If you plan to shoot sports in college, you really need a 100-300 IS or 100-400 IS lens. Yeah, you'll probably spend more for the lens than you did for the camera, but there's a reason you always see these lenses on the sidelines. Obviously, I presented this in terms of 35mm SLR and didn't deal with the 1.5x(?) multiplier.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 5:24 AM   #6

Well Travis, theres one consensus, and that is we all agree with Noise reduction. Its a good tool for high ISO. Two things to take in consideration when cropping. 1 to focus on the particular shot, and 2 the composition, that it might enclose particulars of the shot. As you see with my second compostion I tweaked in enough to show it was actually a basketball game. As a highschooler you are very much on your way. And traveling with camera can be a great advantageeconomically.
Attached Images

bugshutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 5:27 AM   #7

Letting us know it was a basketball game
Attached Images

bugshutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:10 AM   #8

Thanks for the advice.

I figured that i would shoot at much as i could in the frame. And with the Digital Rebel's 6.3Megapixel resolution, i could crop out later what i didn't want in the picture.

Thank you all for the advice, and the edited pictures.

I did take your advice, and downloaded both Neat Image and Noise Ninja. And they both work wonders on my sports pictures.

Thanks Again

-Travis Swentosky-
NPPA Member
NAPP Member
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2005, 8:13 AM   #9

Travis,

Great shot. It would be worthy of publication inany newspaper and the fans reaction is a key element. I fel that the wider angle shows the whole situation. I also agree on using noise reduction software it is a big help. Good job and keep it up.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote