Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:11 PM   #11

Thank you all for the advice about the 50mm f1.8 lens. I have just purchased it on e-bay for $60 (Ebay, the largest yard sale on earth, haha)

I am hoping that it will arrive in time for the game on tuesday. If it does, i will post the results on the board for comments.

To, all of the users that posted photos in reply to my original message, they all look outstandind. I hope that i get enough expierence to have mine come out as good.

Also, Track-and-Field starts in April, does anyone have any recommendations on what type of lenses to use, or any sample pictures, so i know what type of angles to look for?

Thanks Again,

-Travis-
NPPA Member
NAPP Member
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:35 PM   #12

For outdoor track I'd say that it's not as necessary for you to have as fast a lens as indoors, so an F4 would be acceptable. For sports probably the Sigma 100-300 F4 would be a good choice since you wouldhave zoom, it's really sharp, has 300mms to work with, and is comparatively inexpensive. My choice would be the 300/4 L non IS purchased second hand, but I like dynamically sharp photos and have no problem running a bit in order to zoom.

Both of the above lenses would also work nicely with a 1.4x extender for even more reach. I have owned the 300/4 but not the Sigma (just read alot about it).
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2005, 2:12 AM   #13

tswen, I saw the other thread first so I suggested there you consider a 50/1.8. Then I come here and see you just bought one. :lol:
Personally, my favorite for basketball season was an 85/1.8 lens on my D70 and D1H Nikons. The 85 focuses faster, something I believe would also be the case with Canons since the Canon 85 has USM. Of course, the 85 also costs more.
In regards to shutter speed, I would say the minimum shutter speed to aim for is 1/250, and that's pretty borderline. 1/320 or faster should be the goal (1/500 is great if lighting allows).
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2005, 6:24 PM   #14

As for a book, Scott Kelby writes a good book, and just look through the NAPP site or magazine thre are always ad's there. I would also suggest if you get a chance to catch one of the down and dirty tours. Oh and check out the tutorials by Dave Cross.
creeduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 3:52 PM   #15

I agree with an earlier comment - I like the 85/1.8 for basketball. Here is photo that I took at a game this weekend. I have had my dSLR (20d) for less than 3 months, and I am still very much a beginner. I cropped out about 2/3 of this photo - the 85 wasnt enough zoom for my seat, but I stayed put because I was more interested in watching the game than taking photos (any pictures that I got was going to be a bonus). The 85/1.8 allows me to work without a flash (which I prefer) - I cant use a flash at the gymnastics meets. Someday, I hope to purchase a 70-200/2.8, but for now I went with the Canon 85/1.8 and a Tamron 28-75/2.8. Anyway, my 2 cents worth is to try to get a 1.8 - 2.8 (both are fast). Also, I like to set the shutter at ~1/500 to freeze the action. Comments on the photo are certainly welcomed.
Attached Images

acrabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2005, 10:59 AM   #16

with a d-70 would a 70mm 2.8 lens give me good printable results shooting indoor sports like basketball / wrestling?and would it give enough zoom ? I want to print 8x10-11x14 of my kids and occasionally for other parents?I was looking for a good lens for this without breaking the bank? Thanks BillB
zwdb08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 10:42 AM   #17

I think that the 70mm f/2.8 should do the job just fine. It might be zoomed in a little farther, but this lens should do the job that you want it to.

-Travis-
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2005, 1:17 PM   #18

zwdb08 wrote:
Quote:
with a d-70 would a 70mm 2.8 lens give me good printable results shooting indoor sports like basketball / wrestling?and would it give enough zoom ? I want to print 8x10-11x14 of my kids and occasionally for other parents?I was looking for a good lens for this without breaking the bank? Thanks BillB
The lens should be fine for what you want to do, but the camera could be a bit of a pain. The D70 doesn't do so well in low light because of noise. If you have a good noise cleaner like noise ninja you can get what you need
Spec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2005, 8:53 AM   #19

Travis,

Nice shots. I'm surprised that a coach didn't yell at you for being so close and using the flash!!!

I'm also surprised people tacked on their pictures to your post. They should really do their own post. But all are very nice pictures.

Great Shooting
dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2005, 5:39 PM   #20

Would the rebel xt do any better in low light as far as graininess? I talked to a guy who says they are about even? The new d70s, focuses faster and is supposed to have less grain as well. They all seem similar to me cannon ,nikon... The xt is an 8 M Nikon a 6M ,will i notice a huge difference between them at 11x14 ?

zwdb08@yahoo.com
zwdb08 is offline   Reply With Quote