Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 18, 2005, 6:29 PM   #1

Hello,

Here are a couple of pictures from my high school teams first round in the playoffs. They won by the way.

The girl that is in three of the pictures #12 broke both the girls and guys recordfor career successful 3-point shots.
She's probably our all-star player

Any feedback on the pictures would be much appreciated

Pictures were edited using Picasa to upload to this forum.
No noise reduction software was used.

Camera Specs:
Canon Digital Rebel
Tamron 28-80mm Lens
ISO: 1600
f-5.6
Shutter Speed: 1/160 second
ON-BOARD Flash Used

-Travis Swentosky-
NPPA Member
NAPP Member
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:15 PM   #2

Quote:
Any feedback on the pictures would be much appreciated
Hi Travis, I like your ability to wait for the right moment and capture it effectively. Your framing of the action is great in the traditional sense (not too close and not too far away, keeping opponents framed nicely- unlike me who likes to get artsy from time to time). Color looks good except that I do see a slight yellow cast. Do you do a manual white balance even with your flash, or do you set to AWB? My most serious comment would be shutter speed related. I think that with flash you should be able to boost your shutter to more than 1/160th in order to get rid of theaccentuatedblurring that is evident in these shots. And that is really the only serious problem that I see overall, otherwise, great job!

PS - Have you ever used a 50mm F/1.8 Mark II lens? They are exceptionally inexpensive, especially second hand, and you would be able to open your aperture up one more stop of light or morein order to be able to increase shutter speed effectively. I used one last year and it was nothing short of dynamic, and I used my Rebel back then. The pairing was a match made in heaven. :-)
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:26 PM   #3

Thanks for the comments, i will look into that lens, and maybe purchase it.

The white balance was set to automatic, and using Picasa, i added just a slight bit of yellow/orange to enhace the skin tones.

This was the first game all season that i used the flash, and instead of trying something new during an important game, i stayed with what i used all season and that was the 1/160 second shutter speed. Next week during the Semi-Finals, i will use a speed of 1/200.

I did not use any other editing in Picasa only the brightness level of the picture.

Thank you again for the comments

-Travis Swentosky-
NPPA Member
NAPP Member
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:41 PM   #4

Do you own Photoshop?

Brad
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:44 PM   #5

Travis, your action shots are great. We all can agree it is a great task to catch such good action shots and be involved in the game at the same time:-)

Im going to post these two shots done with Nikon D-70. By no means do I think im good. But it does seem each time im being more satisfied. This is not a first time success type of indeavor.

Now both of these pictures were done in the same gym. Not the best lighting. The first picture was shot with 50mm 1.4 (50mm1.8) would have done just as good. IS0 1600, shutter 320.
Attached Images

bugshutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:44 PM   #6

Travis, your action shots are great. We all can agree it is a great task to catch such good action shots and be involved in the game at the same time:-)

Im going to post these two shots done with Nikon D-70. By no means do I think im good. But it does seem each time im being more satisfied. This is not a first time success type of indeavor.

Now both of these pictures were done in the same gym. Not the best lighting. The first picture was shot with 50mm 1.4 (50mm1.8) would have done just as good. IS0 1600, shutter 320.
Attached Images

Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:47 PM   #7

Yes, i own Photoshop CS

Just in case you were wondering.

I use Picasa mainly for a quick edits of the brightness/contrast, and to resize them to post them to my website that i created for my school.
http://www.shutterlens.com

I use Photoshop for my extensive editing, when a parent or a player orders a picture from me. I am still new to photoshop, can anyone recommend a book on photoshop CS?
I currently am a member of the NAPP so i get the Photoshop user magazine, but i was hoping for a well written book just about the CS version.

Thanks again,

-Travis-
NPPA Member
NAPP Member
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:50 PM   #8

Travis, I hope you look into the 50mm as I personally think that your photos are excellent and you deserve to have a more appropriate lens for the task at hand. Your Tamron, being a zoom, is probably not the sharpest lens on earth, and it's minimum aperture of 5.6 full zoom is simply not fair to your talent. You deserve better and many professionals still use that 50mm for basketball.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2005, 8:54 PM   #9

This shot was taken with 28-75mm 2.8, camera set on shutter priority 400, with SB-800 flash TTL. If you are able to use flash, I would advice a more powerful external flash that can TTL. It will definately freeze your action more.
Attached Images

Old Feb 18, 2005, 9:02 PM   #10

Normcar is right on point about the 50mm. The 50mm 1.8 is a great investment for indoor basketball.