Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:12 PM   #1

Here are a few more shots taken the other night without flash. All taken at high ISO with Mark II and either 200/1.8 or 135/2. Some minor post processing and light croppingwas necessary. I like to get expressions and tight cropping is often a decision I've made in order to achieve this purpose:

One

Two

Three

Four

Five

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2005, 6:02 PM   #2

Norm,

Awesome shots!

Camera quality really shines through!

Little suggestion. On the wider angle shots, try not to cut off the hands or feet.

Again, stunning photos.

Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 1:18 AM   #3

Quote:
On the wider angle shots, try not to cut off the hands or feet.
Thanks Terry, I'm slightly out of practice this year with the bball. Last year at this time I had a pile of games under my belt. This is the first time this year; it seems that the birds have taken over, and even they are few and far between up north here. Maybe I'm just lazy this year. :roll:

Cheers
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 7:56 AM   #4

Great shots Normcar, must be great to be able to get shots like this indoors with poor lighting... that sounds like a nice camera lens set up you've got there :-)

Just out of interest, what ISO's are these at ? 1250 ? 1600 ? I do envy the low noise performance of the top end canon's compared my D70
jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 8:11 AM   #5

Nice shots! They look great! Like the tight shots! The lighting and color looks good too!
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:55 AM   #6

jimbojet, the key might be the fast lens. I believe th gym I shoot basketball games in must owe a gas and electric bill the light be so dim. This shot was taken at 1600 ISO, with minimum noise reduction. I shot it with the D70 and a wide open 50mm1.4. Im sure Normcars lack of noise can be atrrtibuted to the fast lens he used.
Attached Images

bugshutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 9:48 AM   #7

:!:I don't know much about photography but i'm going to learn one day. i love to take pics, especiallyof my daughter playing basketball. one graduated last year and my youngest is mostly riding varsitypine :-)this year (8th grader) so i have several months to learn. i'm going to take a class. i hope i can do it. i have learned some from you guys.btw, what kind of camera do you have?

Having said all that what i really wanted to say was....................

WOW!!
darlenerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 12:43 PM   #8

Well darlene, my weapon of choice was the Nikon D70 dslr. This camera can cover the entry level student of photography to a professional thats been around for ages. Its an excellent choice for sports, especially inside basketball. That being said, I found from experience it is also best to have the fastest lens you can get. The fastest lens you can get that will cover your inexperience of shooting indoor basketball would be a 50mm 1-8 which can be purchased for less then a $100. You cant go wrong with that lens.

This camera will give you a very high ISO of 1600, which will allow you to shoot in dim light situations without reverting to flash, which sometimes is not allowed during games. Whenever I post a picture it was shot at 1600 ISO, with a noise reduction, unless I specify it was flash phototography. I find that the noise is not bad, because the noise reduction does not make the picture look phony.

Like I said the Nikon D70 was my dslr of choice, but there are comparable dslr of different brands and prices. As far as shooting indoors I think a priority should be a high ISO. I found ISO 1600 a pretty exceptable sensitivity because of the very good noise reduction softwares available.

Heres a photo shot at ISO 1600, that was cleanup with Noiseware software. But I also was allowed to shoot at a shutterspeed of 320 with a 50mm 1.8 lens, which pretty much stopped the action. I think this is a pretty good shot taken with a lens costing less then a $100.
Attached Images

bugshutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 1:32 PM   #9

The color on that pic is very nice. i have a minolta z1 that i used to take pics to make a scrapbook for my daughter that graduated. i got a few decent pics but not alot. i think the highest iso on it is 400. i would like to get a better camera but know that i need to learn to use it or i am wasting money. i liked the d70 just looking at some of the pics on this site. i am hoping to take a class somewhere. it all sounds soooo complicated!!! but if the d70 would let me start as a novice and hopefully:?learn more it sounds like it might be for me.

normcar also has some excellent pics. do you know what kind of camera he has?

thanks so much for the info. wish i could take some good pics tonight at our playoff game, but maybe by next year's playoff games!
darlenerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2005, 1:32 PM   #10

Bugshutter,

Not too shabby an image with that Nikon D70.

I find the 20D's ISO3200 a nice option. I'm using a 50mm F1.4 lens which gives me about two extra stops to play with in low light situations like gyms and indoor track facilities.

I agree, a 50mm F1.4 or F1.8 lens is a great option for low light indoor photography.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote