Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 19, 2005, 10:33 PM   #1

Hello,

Next month, my school's cheerleading squad will be going to South Carolina, and i've been asked to go along and take photos of the cheerleaders and the routines.

Does anyone have any recommendations on lenses to use?

Also, if there is anyone that has taken pictures of cheerleading routines, are there do's and don'ts for cheerleading? Like when to take pictures and when not. Our girls seem to do a lot of high kicking, and i'm not sure if it's okay to take pictures when they high kick because of the fact that you get a clear shot up skirt.

I plan on using the following lenses:

Tamron AF 28-80mm Zoom
Canon FD 135mm
Canon FD 50mm

Thanks

-Travis-
NPPA Member
NAPP Member
tswen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2005, 10:47 PM   #2

I would suspect shots of the high kicking if taken from side would be OK, taken from the front would probably not produce presentable shots.

Depends on how close/far you are from the squad when shooting, the 28-80 may work out well, if thelighting is adequate or you use a strobe.

The FD lenses are going tooperate asstop-down manual focus, andmanual camera setting. Not sure how suitable they will be for action shooting. Also from what I can see the fd-ef adapter acts as a short extension tube, which will preventmost lens from focusing at infinity if it really does act as an extension tube.

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2005, 2:22 PM   #3

Of course there are do's and don'ts...My advice would be to take as many pictures as you can. Don't be concerened about whether the shot is appropriate or not untill you see them on your computer. You can always not use some pictures, but you can't go and get more after the fact. Just use your common sense and don't go looking for inappropriate shots. Have fun and be creative.

Danny O.
DannyO is offline   Reply With Quote