Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 25, 2005, 11:33 PM   #1

I decided to try out the combo of Canon 135/2, which is one of the sharpest Canonlenses on the market, and comparably not that expensive, along with a 550 flash with raised head (I personally don't feel comfortable using direct flash on the players, even though in this league I could get away with it). Here are some of the results:

Camera: Mark II; no noise reduction; some sharpening and brightness adjust since I stopped my exposure down -1/3 to get some shutter. Shutter was mostly at 1/400th and aperture set to about 2.8. I also cloned out faint shadow traces from 2 small areas of the back wall. Because the flash was directed upwards the shadows were not distinct (another advantage of pointing the flash up, effective in small gyms where you will get some minor bounce, just enough to make a difference):

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2005, 12:52 AM   #2

These are all very good normcar, and I'm sure a warmer shooting environment than your normal one. I absolutely LOVE that first one, who knew the ball deflated that much, and I used to play... VERY
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 8:16 AM   #3

yeah, that first one is way cool! Love the deformed BBall!
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 7:51 PM   #4

Again........

WOW!

hey, my daughter's team is playing this coming week in the Sweet Sixteen State Championship! Semi-finals Wednesday night. i need you you to come down here and take some pictures!:-)
darlenerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 8:07 PM   #5

Awesome shots!

I sense the shots could use just a tinch more flash to brighten up the players and pull them out of the background a little.

Have you tried using a sto-fen diffuser on your flash? You might be able to get a little more flash in the shot withoutdistracting the players.

Maybe try 1/500th shutter speed to totally freeze movement in the hands and feet.

Just a suggestion, as I know I'm always tryingfind that edge that can make my shots 5 percentbetter.

http://www.stofen.com

Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 7:50 AM   #6

great shots norm, is this a fixed distance lens? An L lens or thr 28-135 lens???
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2005, 9:03 PM   #7

Thanks for having a look all and I certainly appreciate all of the nice comments and also the valuable suggestions.

GoCubs, yeah, I couldn't believe how flat the bottom of that ball was. You don't get that stuff with video :-)

Saginaw, thanks for the comment; you know your indoor shootingstuff and I appreciate you taking the time to have a look.

Darlene, thanks for the invitation. Dang, I gotta work for a living. Next time for sure.

Thanks Terry for the insights. I'll make a note of that diffuser and if I get a chance I may give it a try.

Alady, thanks for checking out my non-wildlife stuff too. This is the 135 prime and I use it sometimes because it has the F/2 which comes in very handy for this sort of thing.

Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote