Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Feb 26, 2005, 8:31 AM   #1

Couple of shots taken at SVSU yesterday. Lighting on the sides of the arena are not the best... 20D using ISO3200, f2.8 and 1/250. Using a Sigma 120-300 f2.8 EX. Cleaned up with Neat Image....

oh... and the first time i've attempted to shoot a track meet! :lol:

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2005, 1:14 PM   #2

Very nice photos!

I like the way you blurred the foreground hurdles.

Here's a track photo I took the other day with the 20D. Canon 50mm F1.4 lens.
Attached Images

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 3:22 PM   #3

Terry, thats an awesome picture. I hope you dont mind that I downsized it a bit and put a little noise reduction in it. Sort of like put the icing on the cake:G
Attached Images

bugshutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 3:32 PM   #4

Great work - I am just beginning to try to do something similar. Do you have an suggestions for getting started? I downloaded Neat Image, but I really do is use "Auto Profile" and "Auto Fine Tune". Do you have suggestions or references to go a site for "instructions"?
acrabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 4:01 PM   #5

acrabb wrote:
Quote:
Great work - I am just beginning to try to do something similar. Do you have an suggestions for getting started? I downloaded Neat Image, but I really do is use "Auto Profile" and "Auto Fine Tune". Do you have suggestions or references to go a site for "instructions"?
Thanks! ummm.... yeah, I pretty much do the auto thing in Neat Image too! :lol: Some day when I have time I'll have to read through the User Guide... double :lol::lol:

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 4:20 PM   #6

Oh no, not the dreaded Users Guide. I was hoping not to have to go there :yawn:
acrabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2005, 4:43 PM   #7

Bugshutter,

Nice job tweaking the photo!

What software did you use to reduce the noise?

Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2005, 12:00 PM   #8

Terry, thats an excellent photo you took. I use Noiseware Software. I have become so confident with Noiseware that I dont even flint if I have to use ISO 1600.
bugshutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 12:48 PM   #9

I was wondering could i achieve similar results with a d-70 at iso 1600? I was thinking of buying a dslr ,for shooting my kids highschool sports,volleyball,basketball,wrestling softball, and was thinking of buying the d70 and using the $400-$500 i save from the body of the 20d to put towards a faster lens. Would this give me nice results or is their going to be a noticable difference from the 3600 of the 20d and the extra two meg ,i want to be able to print an 8x10 or 11x 14 or slightly larger size prints . to hang on my wall. I was just trying to figure out how much i would be giving up if i do go with the d 70 over the 20d .Is the frame rate of 5 fps for 23 (20d) a huge difference over the 3fps for 17 -23 frames in jpeg fine(d 70) do you shoot these in raw of is jpeg fine good enough? again thanks Bill b
zwdb08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2005, 1:08 PM   #10

Ignoring the faster frame rate, and extra 2mp (doesn't make much difference over 6mp)

The extra 3200 ISO speed does make a difference, as each higher stop of ISO doubles the amount of light that can be recorded by the sensor. Same as each larger F-stop on a lens doubles the amount of light reaching the sensor. Combining the higher ISO and a fast lenswith the amazingly clean performance of the new DIGIC-II chip in theEOS 20d and rebelXT makes for somevery good results.

The D70 is older imaging technology by comparison, not sure about the new d70s don't know what is in it yet, or how it stacks up against other cameras. :-)

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote