Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Sports & Action Photos

Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:00 AM   #11

I have my own website that i upload my pictures to. I then just put multiple links into a single post...
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 8:50 AM   #12

Mr. Saginaw,

That's a cool shot!

I like the slight out of focus background, yet you can still see that people are watching the performance.

Interesting comment regarding the magazines showing photos with out of focus toes. I guess if people are used to it, they probably don't even notice it!

I have a press business card that gets me on the floor of some meets, but on some of the bigger meets (track and field), it gets really touch and go. Luckily I know most of the officials so they cut me slack, whereas normally only the larger distribution papers get access.

I was at ahigh profileoutdoor cross-country meet last fall in New York.I got to rub toes with photographers from large publications and sports magazines. I was quite thrilled!

Have you thought about submitting your photos to the local newspaper or gymnastics mags? If you do, they may help you with a business or press card to get you access to the floor.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 9:17 AM   #13

Thanks, Terry!

No, really haven't thought of submitting them anywhere... I did contact the Information Dept. at the university... They thought they were great pics but that about as far as it goes... wanted to make sure the gymnasts got a chance to see the pics... thought about contacting the women directly but don't want to appear like some psycho cyper-stalker! :-) You know... hey, want to see some pictures I took of you??? :|
Old Mar 6, 2005, 9:35 AM   #14

Hey acrabb,

I have a digital rebel and I recently (2 months ago) got a tamron 28-75. I absolutely love it. I get great saturation and I use it for alot of my sports pictures, especially basketball. In regards to the comment about you shooting wide open...they may not have the lens, the lens is somewhat soft at 2.8. So if the lighting is good enough, i ussually stop it down to 3.5. But at 2.8, the softness is almost unnoticable. The only time i worry about the softness is when im going to blow the pictures into a 8 x 10 or bigger. Great shots.

Danny O.
DannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 9:41 AM   #15

Mr. Saginaw,

That made me laugh!

I know what you mean.

Perhaps you could donate the pics to the local paper or gymnastics magazines. They are always looking for "stringers", especially if you're willing to work for free! They also like if write an article and submit results with your pics.

In fact, working for free is probably the best way to break into it. It gives you time to get your pics up to magazine quality, to the point someone would offer to pay you to cover events if you chose to take it that far.

After I cover an event, I look at what the other paid photographersfrom the larger newspapers have gotten printed. They are usually pretty good, and the bigger the paper, usually the better the class of photographer.

I like to think that the very best of what I have shot for my town paper (distribution 3,000) measures up the the average of the larger paper in my area (distribution 150,000).

After the New York event, I submitted my shots to a national sports website. Although they were very nice about it, they rejected every one. When I reviewed the work that their paid staff put on the site, I could see why they rejected mine. All of their posted shots were, at the minimum, at least slightly better than mine (IMO).

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:10 AM   #16

Ok... here is a link to a picture from the official Carly Patterson website from the 2004 Olympics... check out her feet! See what I mean...

Needless to say... i don't worry about a little motion blur these days... :-)
Old Mar 6, 2005, 10:13 AM   #17

now that we've completely hijacked acrabb's thread...

acrabb, what university is your pictures from?
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:38 AM   #18

These photos are of the gymnasts at the University of Georgia. They have only 1 home meet remaining - Michigan. It should be a pretty good meet. Since I have young kids (and we all enjoy college gymnastics), I have been taking more photos during the warmups (pre-meet)than during the meet. Also, if I get there early enough, I can usually sit on the front row - this is my secret zoom weapon (lol - gotta have the 70-200). Anyway, these girls draw a pretty big crowd (usually a sellout); so, once I return to my seat, I sometimes put the camera away and enjoy these graceful atheletes.
acrabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:43 AM   #19

DannyO,

I had read about this lens be a little soft at 2.8; so, I was trying to stay away from shooting wide open. However, rather than setting at f/3.5, I was adjusting shutter speed and watching the aperture. I wanted to make sure that I had the shutter at 1/500 or faster. Also, I accidentially shoot these at ISO 3200 - I usually go with 1600, but after these turned out ok, I may not be afraid to go with 3200 more often. Thanks for the comments.
acrabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2005, 11:48 AM   #20

I like to shoot warmups too.. Gives me a chance to warmup! :-)

MSU has a pretty good attendance but not packed. I can usually pick a good spot and shoot most of it from that spot without problems...

MSU has 2 home meets left... hopefully I can get to at least one of them...